Good thermometer and hygrometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faverolling, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Faverolling

Faverolling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    NW FL
    My current incubator is in dire need of an upgrade. First, I'm replacing the thermometer and hygrometer. :) Any suggestions?

2. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    [​IMG]

I use one I bought from walmart it tells the temp and humidity works great for me and only costs around $8 plus a AA battery.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Whatever you get, make sure to test it for accuracy. ;-)

4. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    How do you test for accuracy?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Tips on checking accuracy of thermometers and hygrometers:

The thing you want to do is check that any of thermometers and hygrometers are correct by testing them against a known criteria.
    Comparing devices is useless unless you know how accurate any of them are.

I used a candy thermometer tested in boiling water and noted how far off 212 degrees it was...or whatever temp water boils at your altitude.
    You can check your boiling temp at altitude here.
    Then put the candy thermometer and 3 others in the incubator during the test run and compared them all, noting any differences.

I made a chart noting all temps and made notes about if this one reads this temp it is actually that temp.

Hygrometers can be tested by putting 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup water in a dish or jar and mixing it to a slurry.
    Put the salt slurry jar and the hygrometer next to each other in a sealed plastic bag.
    After 8-12 hours the hygrometer should read 75%...again note and differences and you're set.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by