Good thing i dont sleep naked!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mynamehere, Nov 7, 2008.

1. mynamehere

mynamehere New Egg

Oct 21, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Becasue I instictively bolted out of bed and ran outisde at 5 am when i heard ruckus in my chicken coop -without even thinking!!!

My SO (shoeless) and loyal dog accompanied me in a frenzy to the coop where we found one of our silkies in the mouth of a(n) opossum!!!

"Hit IT!!! Hit it!!!" i yelled - flashlight in hand, dog fumbling around confused, hens squacking, total darkness....

Wasnt happening. "give it to me!" So i grabbed the big stick and reared back. Only to get a nasueas feeling in my stomach. This drooling, confused beaty-eyed opossum looked up at me, i just couldnt do it!!! I save bugs - no way i can kill this guy. I mean, he is so ugly he's cute. And he didnt kill anything.

At this point, the neighbor (i live in the city) jumps the fence to see whats going on an offer a hand - and my 50 lb dog goes into attack mode.

do i keep an eye on the opposum? Or help the neighbor?

Good thing my dog is all talk [​IMG]

I get the opossum into a milk crate and eventually into an old rabbit cage. We rehomed him. I just couldnt kill him.

Sorry i didnt listen to al lyou BYC-ers about the opossums. I just figured there was enough dog and cat food and trash in my neighborhood the keep them at bay. I left the coop door open so my noisey roo could get out in the morning without waking the neighbors. (Roo's are against local noise ordinance) I have a fenced in yard, and put up a make shift fence around the coop..

My little silkie is in shock but only lost about seven feathers. I think she will pull thru. And now I get a run this weekend [​IMG]

I am so glad there werent any casualties. Maybe i would have been able to whack that opossum if there had been.

I cant believe i didnt take any pictures. IT all happened so fast. In my pajamas. in the dark. My nieghbors must think i am so CRAZY!!!

wow, this is a long first thread.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I am glad your silkie is OK. I can see you running without regard to what you had on. [​IMG] My hubby has ran out of the house naked b/c a racoon was after our cat. We thought she was inside. She was very sneaky. It was a riot. he he he

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    See, I figure I could scare off ANYTHING if I ran outside naked. (even the neighbors) [​IMG]

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Wow! What a way to introduce yourself to BYC. I'm still laughing! Thank goodness all your babies (and you) are okay. Oh by the way Welcome to BYC!![​IMG]

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

hmmmm ,, sounds like a good place to live [​IMG] ,, and to buy possums to stick in peoples coop ( the no teeth possums!) and sit and wait with the video camera [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'm glad nothing was killed! [​IMG] and had I been in that situation, I'd have scared a neighbor or two because I don't wear pj's to bed [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i mus live in the wrong state,, noone sleeps nekkid,, or runs out of their houses half nekkid,,, man i get the short end of the stick every time !! [​IMG]

8. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    Quote:Jim you aint right:lol:

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    First, Naked Necks, then naked chickens, then naked people. What's this forum coming to. (Need pictures actually.)

10. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    At least you got out there in time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by