Good thing they are well trained!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, May 14, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    I went out and noticed my two boys had wandered into the neighbors yard. our neighbor wouldn't mind, but they have a huge lab, and they were on his side of the electric fence. i called "Boys!" and they came running!! when they start running real fast, they flap their wings, and they did. they ran full speed right to me. so i made them a special treat. its new so they are a little afraid of it, but when i went inside to make it, they followed me into the garage and waited for me to come back out! they then were following me everywhere! they are so sweet. i'm so glad they came when i called though! right after i came out with their treat about 2 minutes after, the lab was out and running around.

2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    haha, I call mine by "GIRLS!" and that works for me.

3. bnward5

bnward5 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Trinidad Co
    awwww good duckies, I'm glad they are keeping close to you due to recent bad events!

4. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    well right now i only have two drakes, and they are so well bonded! since i lost the other ones, they have been bonding with me more and more. they are really smart too. we've had them in the garage, and i just tell them bedtime ducks! and they go right to the garage and wait for me to close the door. when we leave, i put them in the pen, so i just tell them playpen! and they go right to it. they learn quickly! and thankfully they listen!!

5. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    That works with my two horses... Never would've expected it to work with ducks.

I wish it worked as well with the cats. Good thing they're big enough to take on the neighborhood dogs. [​IMG]

6. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    I agree, the ducks are pretty smart. I have been training my four new ducks to go into their crate (big plastic airline type dog crate) so I can lock them up at night. My son got me a duck call whistle thing for Mother's Day, so I go out at dusk, blow it four times (one for each duck) and then they run into the crate so all I have to do is close the door and lock them in for the night! They do learn quick.

They also know when I go out and call duck, duck, duck, duck (kind of fast and higher pitch then normal voice) that it means they get a special treat like greens, coi food, etc.

I think ducks are sooooo cool! I love mine. Even my two Muscovey drakes that have been getting all up in my face lately. LOL I have to pin them sometimes to show them who is boss. As soon as my little hens get big enough, I will put them in with the drakes. Right now, I have three hens and a drake with the new ones. Still searching for another couple of hens possibly. We'll see how it goes.

I am so glad your drakes are bonding to you more. Drakes can be really sweet when they want to.

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    My ducks are really smart too, they know when i say "go" that it means make your way to the barn into your crate cuz it's bedtime! [​IMG] Sometimes I go up to put them away and they're already in there! LOL!

8. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    When my boys see me they act like little angels. [​IMG]

When my husband is the only one around, they like to get into trouble, so he ends up having to chase them around. [​IMG]

Then if I show up, they revert to being angelic. [​IMG]

It amazes me the nuances of things ducks can learn. Not just to go to bed, but to wait for mom to open the door. Stuff like that.

9. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    They are amazing. My drake chubby used to get mad when i'd tell him to go to bed and he'd hiss at me. ohh boy. he'd get a mean growl from me, and then he'd walk into his house, like okay FINE! lol. these boys don't even seem drakish! chubby was real protective, i have never seen these guys act like he did. they fight sometimes because they end up scaring each other in their pool. lol. otherwise, they both squeeze into their water bucket at night because they both want to swim! [​IMG] silly boys. when i saw "watermelon" you should see the reaction i get out of these babies!

10. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Ducks are very smart [​IMG]
    My geese are also very smart, they listen better then my dogs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by