1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Good Thoughts For Our Chicken- Foul Pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Chaperone, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Chicken Chaperone

Chicken Chaperone Chillin' With My Peeps

Henrietta, our only chicken, who is a BR and getting up there in age, has come down with foul pox. I've read tons here about it and fortunately
    it seems to be of the 'dry' variety- spots on her comb, primarily. We are watching her very closely and making sure that
    she gets extra fluids, that her appetite stays ok and that she gets lots and lots of love. Although we don't have contact with anyone else's chickens and it
    is spread via mosquitoes, we are practicing lots of hand washing and great bio care. With all that said, I just wanted to ask
    y'all for some prayers and good thoughts for Henrietta, especially that the foul pox doesn't become wet. If anyone has any tips
    or have come out the other side of foul pox and has some experience to share, I'd sure appreciate it. We love this feathered girl
    like family and would do anything to get her through this and make sure she's ok and if you could send some prayers and healthy chicken
    vibes our way that would be awesome!! ::sad, worried smile::

2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Awww. Poor Henrietta! Wishing her and you the best! Boy, I hope it doesnt turn wet! That would be horrible! I hope she pulls through for you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Sorry Henrietta has the fowl pox. But very good news that it is the dry variety. We did adopt a hen once who had the dry fowl pox. She got the yellowish spots in her face and comb which then turned black before disappearing. The process took maybe 2 weeks or so. She didn't seem to be in any apparent distress and recovered completely. i'm not sure what makes the pox change from dry to wet. We didn't experience that, thank goodness. i would say to just keep up the supportive care. Keep her warm and dry, good nutrition, maybe some vitamins in the water or some Polyvisol without iron, a couple of drops each day. Though it's easier to just put some vitamins in the water. Most feed stores sell the vitamin packets.

Good luck! Hope she pulls through this quickly.

4. Chicken Chaperone

Thank you, both! She seems to be hanging in there- her appetite is still good and last night, as we cleaned
    up from Thanksgiving, we discovered that Henrietta likes cooked green beans so that's one more yummy food we can
    add to the list of "thing to tempt the chicken with". Thanks for your good thoughts and advice! It makes all
    the difference to know that there are folks here who understand our devotion and love for our chicken!
    thank you!!!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Might be a good idea to put a little antiseptic on the lesions, like a smear of Neosporin. It won't help the lesions, of course -- but it might prevent the development of a secondary infection getting into the injured tissue of the lesion.

I wish you all well. Mine came through it fine; hopefully yours will, too.

6. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Howdy!

When two of our young chickens got dry pox, we put mouth wash on their scabs to dry them out. I hope she recovers quickly. [​IMG]

7. Chicken Chaperone

Thank you so much for the good advice and thoughts ddawn and Pioneer Chicken! The scabs seem so minimal compared
    to other folk's pictures I've seen- I hope it means we're looking at a very mild case. [​IMG] It helps so much to know that other
    people's chickens have gone through it and are ok. Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by