1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good thoughts needed for my Mom....**Update**

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ZooMummzy, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    and prayers too if you are religious. I am not so I never like to assume and ask for prayers.

I just got the news, via a blanket email (can you believe that? :mad: ), that my Mom, Sandy, has breast cancer for the third time in 8 years. She doesn't even have breasts due to the last round 2 years ago! How does this happen???? It doesn't appear having your breasts removed saves you from anything.

As you can tell, I am very distraught yet trying to find the strength to help her through this again. At the moment, I simply don't know how. I guess I also needed to vent a little too. I whined about this yesterday in another thread...maybe I shouldn't have? My Mom has been very ill for 6 weeks now - lack of breath, no energy, etc. They had found two spots on her lungs and a swollen lymph node in a test 3 weeks ago, but seemed in no hurry to conduct more tests or put her on antibiotics (we all thought it was a lung infection). She just retired two weeks ago, the Friday before she turned 65. She worked her whole life and was so looking forward to working at the winery job she had set up in Northern CA. Now the future is uncertain at best. I know life isn't fair, but I have to say it - Life isn't fair!

The first time she went through cancer she was so brave and had a great sense of humor. She had a partial mastectomy, chemo and radiation. For Halloween that year she was bald so she dressed up like Uncle Fester from the Munsters. She almost died while at my house for Christmas. A radiation site became infected and her white cells were basically nonexistent. She spent nearly a month in isolation here but she pulled through and went on to beat the cancer. It went into remission, only to show up 5 years later. This time she had a total mastectomy and no chemo or radiation. She did try implants which only led to more problems, so after a year of surgeries and infections, she had them removed and was proud to be flat. We were all jealous of course because she didn't have to wear those horrible bras anymore [​IMG]

Now, two years later, the cancer is back just when she should be starting to enjoy this next phase of her life. Every woman in my family has had some form of cancer - a lot die from it. It just isn't fair.

Thanks for letting me share and vent and please, keep her in your thoughts if you would.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    You are in my thoughts, I lost my grandma to breast cancer. I am hoping for the best...

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    So sorry to hear about this! And that you found out by email. That could not have been easy.

Healing prayers for your mom and your family.

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Good thoughts![​IMG]

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    im praying and sending positive healing vibes your mothers way....I can't even imagine how upsetting that must be! *hugs*

Niki

7. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm sorry to hear about your mom. We are in a similar situation with my mother-in-law. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. And, feel free to vent anytime. It really helps at times. [​IMG]

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you everyone for the prayers and thoughts. It does help a lot. [​IMG]

9. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I am so sorry tell her every one here on byc is wishing her to get better. give her a [​IMG] for me. I hope her mom can beat cancer for sure this time

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008
  10. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Will remember your mom in my prayers, we also just a breast cancer scare with my mom. We were blessed to find out it was just that, a scare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by