Good time of year to Order to Resell Broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hi! I ran across Ideals broiler chicken sale this week and am debating getting some to resell on Craigslist. Would this be a good time of year for that or do you think I will end up with a bunch of chicks and no buyers? I was thinking 25-30 chicks, not a huge order but more than I would have room for after a few weeks.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Depends on your area. I've gotten free, grown cornish cross on craigslist here because nobody would pay for them. If you're wanting to resell them live, you may have trouble recooping your money. They eat alot. If you are wanting to sell them processed, check your state regs first.

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I was looking to sell them as chicks, kinda turn and burn style. There is one listing on Craigslist from a local farm offering to order cornish crosses for people but no one with broiler chicks for immediate sale.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I've seen ads for people to split orders to save money. You can try but just be prepared if you can't sell any.

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    At this point I think I will just skip it. Even if I find someone to split the order with I don't want birds that will sit around for months. And I wouldn't butcher for others, too many complications. Not to mention I am in suburbia and I don't want to traumatized the neighborhood kids. :rolleyes: I may have to butcher eventually anyway with hatching out chicks (dual breeds, leftover chicks that go boy will go to our stewpot) but I would much rather one or two over time than be stuck with 20+ guaranteed stewpots at one time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by