good time to hatch and raise chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by danamillette, Jul 16, 2008.

1. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Good afternoon,
    My name is Dana and I am considering raising chickens. After browsing this great site, I realize i have much to learn before diving in. My first question is, I live in Northern Wisconsin, when is the best time to incubate and hatch chicks? My instincts tell me in the spring like everything else here. But could I still get started yet this summer?
    Thanks!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Sure! You have plenty of time yet! I wouldn't wait until you feel like you've learned everything though. You will never get started if you wait until that time! The best way to do it is to dive right in! You already have learned more than you think if you've been reading posts. Go ahead and get started and we will all be here to help you along the way. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] !!!

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I agree, now is a fine time to get started with chicks. This year was my first time raising chicks, and I was so worried that I would do something wrong, or they wouldn't be warm enough, etc, etc. And then they arrived and I put them in their brooder, and...that was it. Easy peasy.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by