Good time to intro a roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StrayMagnet, Jul 22, 2011.

1. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Ok I"m curious, when is a good time to Intro a rooster.

Chick chick is raising her brood of 11. I was curious, when Can I get a rooster to join the family?

I plan on keeping a few of the female chicks. and I will Adopt out the rest.

I eventually want to get a rooster, I just want to not bring him in to soon

and If i GET a rooster, and The hen gose broody again.. will he harm the eggs or new chicks? or do I have to Isolate the mom and the baby's till she Kicks them out of the "roost"

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You must have had a roo if you have a broody with chicks??? This is a bit confusing. One thing I know is that you can't know if a roo is going to accept the chicks or not. If you get a roo you will need to quarantine the new birds for at least a month to be safe so you don't inadvertently introduce any health issues that the new birds could have that you may not be aware of. I would isolate a broody with her chicks and give her a safe place. Even other females may try to hurt or kill the chicks.

3. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    No we don't have a Roo...
    The chicken we have has been visiting our house for almost 2 months. she just showed up one day, and Our family fell for her. so we started to toss oats and bread to her.. and she kept comming back every morning. and has been ever since. So she aparently Found a roo along her way to my house? or Found a neibor a ways up the road with roosters. and no neibors have been around in 2 months looking for a lost chicken. so when we discoverd she had chicks. We decided that she could just stay, and I build where she had the eggs into her coop

We had no clue she even was laying. as she had them hid realy well under that porch.. and it's where the kids use to keep thir bikes and toys. she choose a spot between hubby's old lawn mower bag and the foundation of our house.

I know there are chickens maybe a mile or 2 up the road with chickens but none of them are free range.

There use to be 3 hens and 1 rooster who would cross the hwy.. I live off of.. they would either walk around their side the hwy or cross to my side. I would see them here n there. One day I saw them across the street between my neighbor across the road. and the junk car place. then didn't see any of them period for a few weeks. then suddenly She shows up.

I'm woundering if they all left her behind and went back across the hwy. or something happens to them all and she is the only survivor, and i have no clue where them chickens would have come from across the hwy to go asking if anyone lost a hen. so we took her in.

That is why I'm asking about adding a roo, I would like to add a roo for The hen, and for when the Hens we keep are older.

Should I waite till the Chicks are getting close to laying? get a roo.. and after a month he will be good to go with them as they will be close to laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by