Good Treat Foods?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crayonsmom, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Since my 3 self-hatched ducklings have been around, I've been trying to handle them for at least a few mintues every day. I just put an old towel across my lap and let them play around. I whistle to them as well. It's really important to me that they stay relatively friendly because all of our others ducks have come in quntities of at least 10 and it was hard to keep them friendly. Yesterday I have my ducklings (they're a week and a half old) some cut up tomato in a small bowl full of water while I was holding them and they loved it! They went crazy eating the tomato chunks until it was almost gone, and they were ready to settle down and take a nap. lol. Anyway, I was wondering what type of foods you feed your young ducks as a treat? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    peas, watermelon, beet greens (any greens - but it's fun to watch their bills turn red), mealworms (big big hit), and once they get older freshly picked green beans and asparagus are fan favorites.

Yay! babies are fun [​IMG] I find that even when they're friendly as babies you have to re-train them once they realize they're ducks and integrate into the flock. I had a duck who used to clamor to get into my lap for a nap as a duckling but once he feathered I lost all my cool factor. I had given up hope until 6 months later I won him back by digging worms for him from under the duck pools! Now all the ducks love me because I'm the worm lady. LOL! [​IMG]

3. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I second the above poster. Peas and watermelon are the biggest hits here. I also buy mine some feeder goldfish every once in a while and dump them in their pool (clean water of course so they see the fish) and they go crazy catching the fish and eating them. Plus it's a riot to watch!

4. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    lol. Well, I sure hope extra handling now will be a bonus for alter! [​IMG] I think we're going to keep them semi-separate from all the other ducks. No peer pressure for them. Haha. [​IMG] I would dig worms for the big ones, but I don't like to touch worms. [​IMG] There should be some sort of duck pouch so I can carry the babies around the house easily withoutgetting poo all over the place! [​IMG]

Thanks for all the ideas so far! It sounds like I'll be cleaning out the fridge! Hehe.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  5. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm sure you could make a pouch easy enough and I know another member here, Nettie, makes ducky diapers. I'm going to have to buy one of her diaper harness/leash combos so I can take the ducks places once in a while. [​IMG]

6. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

7. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    I think I'm going to have to buy at least one duckie diaper harness eventually! [​IMG] I've been thinking of making some sort of pouch as well. It should be allfancy with little cup holders for food and water dishes. xD Well, maybe just a little pouch would be good for now.

featherfinder, thanks for that list! The was very helpful. I was wondering about mangos. I guess I'll have to try giving them each a couple tiny pieces and see what happens. I love eating those frozen mango chunks myself. [​IMG]

8. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Your welcome and yes mangos are very good. They are pretty much little vegitarians lol

And mine haave diaper harnesses to. It makes things so much easier whe they run around my place. If you need some sites of where to buy them let me know [​IMG]

9. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I just found a big slug on my patio and put it in the brooder with my week old ducklings. Right now they are mostly playing with it but they did eat one the other day.
    I got my ducklings for pest control but the little fuzz butts are quickly becoming family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by