Good treat for your pet chickens

My chickens like any melon (give them the rind too), any squash, bready foods, meaty foods (give them a very small portion!), most leafy veggies, cooked sweet potatoes, yogurt... Just experiment, and you'll start to notice that your chickens like things more than others. You can even moisten chicken scratch and let it sprout, then give that to your chickens! (It's a good way to see if your feed is fresh, too.)
HOWEVER, do NOT give your chickens rhubarb, raw potatoes, avocados, coffee grounds/beans, raw soup beans (green beans are fine), those are a few things I can think of.
I think tomatoes, some dairy products, citrus fruit and perhaps spinach (idk why spinach seems sketchy to me) also shouldn't be fed to chickens either, but I can't remember... Hope this helps! Always do some research before feeding them something your uncertain about!

Thanks for them tips and I try really hard to leans as much as I can about my little friends. I just added two ducks to the family today and was very excited to see how great the two different animals got along.

Stores sell treats, Mealworms, Black solder fly larvae, Treat mixes, Seed/scratch mixes, Snack squares (seeds, nuts, mealworms, ect. held together by honey and whatever else), Flock blocks, and more. House hold foods also work. Their are a variety of different treats out their, try looking on Amazon, TSC, and other farm store websites to look for commercial treats, and then of course things like others suggested the chickens will love just as much!

Mine get all sorts of kitchen scraps. Except meat. Meat scraps go to the cats. But anything you’d normally compost is fed to the chickens. My husband got me started on doing it. His grandma always kept a bucket on the counter to collect scraps throughout the day. At the end they are tossed in the chicken yard.

Food I purposely give them would be hard boiled eggs cut up. Since we have such a surplus of eggs I feed them back to the chickens once or twice a week. They go nuts for hard boiled eggs. Just cut them up so they don’t **look** like eggs😉

Back
Top Bottom