Good treats for 2 to 4 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Teresaann24, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Other then the medicated chick starter feed I feed my chicks what is a good treat I can give them? ( I know if I feed them anything other then the starter I would need to give them some grits)

So what is a good treat for 2 to 4 week old chicks?

2. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i went and dug up (and my 4 year old) some worms and gave them some sand, worms and a patch of grass. they just love the worms!!! they go crazy. they ate a lot of the dirt and a little grass. gave them something to do.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have been cleaning brooders out so while I was outside I got some grass for them and they went crazy they grab it up and the chase began..LOL it was so cute!!!

Could I give them oatmeal? crumbled up or even cooked?

4. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Besides finely chopped fruit/veggies, oatmeal, and yogurt, I also gave mine finely ground nine grain cereal as a treat.

With grit, of course.

But the people who have done this a long time prefer not to feed chicks treats as they want to insure they get eough of the protein etc they need to grow.

So I'd probably be more careful and than I was and make sure it's only a treat, like a few bites or so each. But I would treat: they get so happy!

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    thats good to know I only wanna give them in my hand not where I place their feed. So I can make them more hand friendly.

6. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Shredded cheese! Then it isn't necessary to give them grit. Plus, it's funning to watch them with it!!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I read another thread like this last week and decided to try some shredded cheese with mine. I already had a huge bag of pre-shredded in the fridge, so it was an easy treat for me to give. They LOVED it!! There were little chicks running in every direction with cheese hanging out of their mouths like little orange worms. I wish I had my video camera with me at the time.

8. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I give yogurt mixed with their crumbles for 1st. treats. There is no need for grit and they will get the other nutrients from their regular food. The yogurt is good to help start the digestive systems. You can also start giving this treat when they are only a couple of days old.

9. lelisabeth

lelisabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Elverson, Pennsylvania
    WildBurroShirts.com :

With grit, of course.

I just got my first chicks this weekend. They are 9 weeks old, and I bought a bag of grit, but it says to only feed to 10 weeks or older. Is it okay to feed grit to younger chicks, or did I just buy the wrong kind? Guess I only have to wait a week anyway...​

10. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I was wondering that part as well...I have been giving them yogurt and greens without the grit and they seem ok...the only grit I found was also ten weeks or older...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by