Good Treats for cold weather?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 50+Buff_Orphingtons, Nov 28, 2011.

1. 50+Buff_Orphingtons

50+Buff_Orphingtons Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    Woods, KS
    What are your favorite cold weather treats to feed your flock?

2. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    I make them oatmeal (served warm of course) and sometimes rice with milk warmed up before they roost [​IMG]

3. 50+Buff_Orphingtons

50+Buff_Orphingtons Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    Woods, KS
    I will try this tomorrow evening! what about for the morning when its cold?

4. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I gave mine warm oatmeal with blueberries.[​IMG] They picked out the blueberries and left most of the oatmeal.[​IMG] That was morning. In the evening I gave them some "Harvest Delight Poultry Treat". Kinda like scratch but more nutritious. Has carrots, peanuts whole grains tomatoes, flaxseed and sunflower seeds. Oh, and raisins.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    After the snow comes, I add green feed to their diet, to make up for their lost forage. They get wheat grass, an assortment of green sprouts or some alfalfa at various times. I also give them insects or worms when I can, either red worms from the worm bin or mealworms. I give a little sunflower seed all year and a bit of scratch grain in the winter.

6. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    warm oatmeal or warm unseasoned polenta. I think the polenta is their favorite.

7. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I just cooked up a huge pumpkin. I'll be sharing it between our dog and the girls, who will get on cold mornings.

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    This morning it was 30 drgrees. Mine got warm oatmeal with scrambled eggs and milk. They are pigs! Ate every drop.

9. wildwoodcochins

wildwoodcochins Chillin' With My Peeps

I make a big pan of cornbread but I add a can of pumpkin, lots of eggs, milk and even applesauce to the mix befor I bake it, they devour it. I warm it up in the microwave in the morning and serve it warm~
    I also feed oatmeal mixed with scrambled eggs on cold mornings, a little scratch grains before they roost at night~

10. RoosterRanch

RoosterRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Waverly WV
    Warm scrambled eggs cannot be beat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by