Good vacation areas?

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My parents just gave me the task of coming up with good vacation spots. However, much to my disapproval, my dad does not want to go out of the country...so, I have to look into good vacationing spots within the US.

Currently I live in NJ. We've done the usual vacationing spots...Gettysburg, Williamsburg, Florida, Lancaster, Salem, etc. However, I would love to do a trip somewhere in the midwest to far west. However, it would need to be a spot where there are things we could do as a family. I have a younger brother, who is 17. He virtually makes vacationing impossible because he doesn't like to just relax and always has to be up and out doing something.

Where are some places we could go and spend a week and have enough to do/see? We aren't really into theme parks or anything of that sort. Also, we would take a vacation like this during the summer months, while I'm home from school.

Thanks!

One of my favorite places is Sedona, AZ. I was married there 10 years ago this Feb. We go as often as we can (not as often as I'd like!) The landscape is different than you would find anywhere else. It's called Red Rock Country because of the amazing red rock formations. It's an outdoorsy type town. Tons of amazing hiking, hot air ballon rides, helicopter tours, horseback riding, jeep tours, etc. Also lots of art galleries, dayspas, and shopping. Within close proximity are ghost towns, mining towns, skiing in Flagstaff, the Verde Canyon Railroad, Grand Canyon Railroad. And of course the Grand Canyon! Its loaded with B&Bs, hotels, and resorts. It's chilly this time of year, but not compared to the northeast. Ok now I'm just gushing. It really is amazing.

Whoa! Somebody in Sedona needs to hire me, I sound like a travel brochure!!!

Come to Minnesota!
There are tons and tons of things to do here in the summer.
The weather is great, the people are nice
big_smile.png
!
What does your family like to do? Outdoor sports? Shopping? Historical stuff? Zoos? Theater? Arts?

here's a link to MN tourism
http://www.exploreminnesota.com/home.aspx

Cape San Blas Florida but it's really laid back not a lot of people no theme parks just fishing, shelling, snorkling, horse back riding on the beach, kaykk

We had a blast.

jackie

Oklahoma City!!!!! I went there back in 2002 to visit my DH while he was in school for the USPS and they have alot to do. They have the memorial, the Cowboy Hall of Fame, they have a museum that has a zoo and lots of hands on stuff, they have pony racing at Remington Park. They also have the Stockyards and I think they have the end of the "Trail of Tears" there. Dallas,Ft. Worth area ia pretty awesome too. I have family in that area. I spent a week there and was told I didn't even get started good.

One of my most favorite trips was to the Southwest. We did a traveleing one so every night a new place. Started in Pheonix and traveled North to Sedona ( a must see ), then to to Canyon DeChelly ( pronounced DeShea), Monument Valley, to Southern UT to Nortern rim of Grand Canyon which had snow in May so summer would be wonderful time, to Zion and then Las Vegas. This time I am planning it again but starting in New Mexico and that is another wonderful place I've heard. The whole trip can be as easy or difficult as you want it. So you can either hike the canyons, or take alternative methods if there are those with health issues. It's just a great trip with so much history, even likeable for those kids!

Good luck and have fun!
Steph

Not sure what interests you have but...... In Northern CA.... You have

San Francisco...too many things to even begin listing in the city itself, but outside the city you have Muir Woods, the bay itself, Alcatraz, the Marin Headlands, etc

And Tahoe is just 2 hours north. Yosemite is 3 hours west. Sacramento with all it's rich history is 2 hours northeast. Sutters Mill and Coloma and all the old Gold rush towns are everywhere. Giant Sequoias are north of here. Bodega Bay is an hour or so north. You have so much available it is unbelievable.

Edited to add Monterey is just south and all the beautiful areas inbetween, Carmel, San Luis Obispo etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom