Good Way to Dose w/ Tylan?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hokankai, Aug 7, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I am needing to dose one of my hens with Tylan for a CRD flare up. It is Tylan 50, the powdery kind you put in their drinking water. On the bottle it says to make sure the bird gets 50mg of medication for 3-5 days. She weighs 6lbs, so can I make a treat mash with 300mg of Tylan dissolved in there? This would ensure she gets the required medication for the day without wasting any, since the general dosage is 1tsp per gallon even though she is definitely not going to drink a gallon of water in a day.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I am giving one some with a syringe orally. I hold her beak open, my husband carefully plunges it into her mouth. We were worried about poking her with the needle, but if you do it carefully enough it doesnt even come close to her mouth, it just squirts out. you can just plunge it in their and pull her head back to make sure that she swallows it.

3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:Ooh that scares me a little bit. How do you prevent her from aspirating?

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If you give orally via syringe, pull the needle off the end and just use the syringe for easy safety.

If you want to try feeding the injectible Tylan, I would imagine you could soak it into a small pile of quick oats & see if the chick will eat that. The taste might be nasty, though. You might do better slowly dripping Tylan directly into the front of the chick's beak one drop at a time, so the chick has to swallow it down.

I think there's a powder that can be mixed in drinking water, but I don't think the injectible form is water-soluble??

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Oh yeah, this is the white powder stuff you put in their drinking water [​IMG]. I just want to make sure she gets the medication she needs without wasting a ton in water she's not gonna drink.

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Ooh that scares me a little bit. How do you prevent her from aspirating?

Well I guess its a risk, but we just put it into her mouth and tilt her head back. We dont force it to the back of her throat since aspiration is a risk. Her tounge goes crazy, she sneezes and gets over it [​IMG] Dont hold her upside down or on her back... When we hold her she is up right... you just have to be careful. You can start out small and if she does ok give her the rest.

7. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    Use 2 cups of water to an 1/8 tsp on tylan soluble. She still won't drink it all, but you won't have wasted as much. You could try eye balling to measure out half of an 1/8 tsp for 1 cup if you really want too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by