Good Way to recycle Pastic Grocery Bags.... & Protect Your Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenzoo, Nov 7, 2009.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I often have people want to come see my chickens and i struggle with the worries of bio security and all. Thought I'd share this idea with you. I use plastic grocery bags when ever people come into my yard. When they first pull up I have some handy or I request that they bring some, so that way they can put their foot in and tie it up around their ankles................ instant bootie! It may need to be doubled up in yards with thicker brush etc... but here in Fl sand or on grass it works great........... and it's a good way to get another use out of those baggies. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nice idea! I stuff walls with those plastic bags as insulation in the coops.

3. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    THATS A NICE GREEN IDEA!! Yay!! [​IMG] I should try that since people who visit us and mom [​IMG] complain about chickens' poop when they go outside to look at them, the only use I have for those plastic bags is to make mini scarecrows for my friends' garden patches.

4. vbgarden

vbgarden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Virginia Beach
  5. CamsCluckinChicks

CamsCluckinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
    What a wonderful idea! We used to use the plastic grocery bags for scooping when we had a cat. More recently, we use them to sack our empty soda cans to take to the salvage yard. But, to cover shoes for the chickens... WONDERFUL!! I tried using bread sacks, but they aren't big enough for some of the bigger guys that come through here. LOL!

Thanks for the great tip!! [​IMG]

6. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Good idea Jen![​IMG]

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Thanks for the Idea!!! I even did this today when going out to the soaked run. (3 1/2" rain today) When I got back to the house, I just pulled off the bags, threw them in the trash, went in the house. Dry Feet!!![​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The only downside I can see is that they'd be very slippery. My property is mountainous and is covered in Fall leaves so I probably couldn't wear them here that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by