Good Websites to buy Coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Megan81159, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Megan81159

Megan81159 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    We're getting six chickens, 5 silkies and a polish, and we're planning on buying a coop since we just don't have the time to make one ourselves. We're thinking of getting this one:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...use-Coop-with-Run-up-to-4-chickens-p1167.aspx

Have any of you had experience with this coops or any kinds from this website? What other good sites are there? I'm not too picky, but I very much prefer the design to be similar to that of the one in the link as well as have a run large enough for the chickens. They'll probably be spending around half their waking hours in the coop and run and the other half in our sizable backyard. I don't want to confine them to the coop and run too much, but with the stray/outdoor cats in our neighborhood, I'm a bit wary. Also, naturally, the coop needs to have adequate ventilation, retains heat well, sturdy, protects the chickens from predators, all the important stuff. Thanks!

2. DCortez

DCortez Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    No experience with them but they look a lot like the $300 ones I've seen at Sam's. Flimsy as all get out.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    .Keep in mind that ready made coops often will only comfortably hold about half as many chickens as advertised For only a few, consider buying a small shed or even dog house, then add ventilation (see links in my sig line.)

Even those who buy a small coop usually end up building something else and using the first coop for things like a sick bird, a broody, or brooding chicks. Where do you live? In many climates, all you need is a wire rectangle with a roof over part or all of it and walls enough to keep out heavy wind and rain. With a little planning, you can put it together in a weekend. See here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops

4. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    That is a very cute coop, but very expensive. You will more than likely be disappointed with its actual size in person. Sams Club has a very similar coop for $300.
    This is exactly what I did, and I think for the first time chicken keeper prefab is a good option. After having my chickens for a while, I was able to see the things that I wished were different about the coop as the flock grew. I have many more chickens now, and 6 home made coops, but that first little prefab coop has been turned into a phenomenal brooder[​IMG]

5. Aberhallo

Aberhallo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Judy, I'm reading your link for ventilation, you are saying Ontario, Canada is not what you'd consider to be a super cold climate?

I'm just asking, because I'm afraid to get chickens because we get warm/humid summers (+35 celcius) and winters can have cold snaps into -30/-40 celcius ranges with windchill. I'm not sure how to design a coop that would be suitable for both our summer and winter seasons.

Would you keep lots of vents open in those colder months? I know ye, you need ventilation, but how do you provide enough without freezing the birds?

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, of course, Ontario would be considered a cold climate. (Did I miss that you said you were in Canada? Sorry about that!) The two articles linked in my signature, on ventilation and on winter coops, were both written by a Canadian, so you can learn exactly how she kept her chickens healthy (and well enough ventilated) in that climate. These articles have been well respected on BYC for
    some years. I've never kept chickens in a cold climate so I defer to them.

35C in summer, if in the shade and with a breeze, should not be a problem. You might have to have a couple of well placed windows or section of wall that are covered in hardware clost and have wood shutters that open for summer. But when you read those articles, you will find she recommends a lot more space and has some unique solutions for keeping them healthy in very cold temps.

Good luck and happy reading!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  7. san415

san415 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    I have ordered chicks from them twice, and was very very happy.

8. Aberhallo

Aberhallo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Ok, thanks Judy! (Yes, I'm in Canada :) )

there are so many great coop ideas, but I'm never sure what ones would suit our climate here, it can vary pretty drastically from summer to winter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by