Good whole grain organic feed for omega eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Eggcellent7301, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Eggcellent7301

Eggcellent7301 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    does anybody know a good organic wholegrain recipe for omega 3 eggs.

2. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    To get the Omega 3 in the feed you will have to add flaxseed. That is a readily available source. Not sure of what other grains are high in Omega 3.

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Alot of this omega 3 eggs is nothing more than creative marketing, would be far better off just eating some of the types of things they feed to chickens in hopes some of the omega 3 is passed onto the eggs.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/webextras/bed_eggs/egg_stats.html?bed_eggs

Beans, fish oils, flax oil, nuts, nut oils, olive oil, sprouts, leafy vegies.

4. Eggcellent7301

Jul 5, 2011
    i figured, thanks [​IMG]

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Free ranged chickens on pasture also have higher Omega 3 in there eggs than store bought eggs.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Forget omega eggs, just eat a spoon of flax for yourself. Get the fats (omega3) and the fiber directly without most being metabolized by the bird. LOL Marketing at it's finest.

7. Eggcellent7301

Jul 5, 2011
    you misunderstand, i AM the marketer! i realize that 'omega3' eggs fetch a higher price, and at what cost, a spoonful of flax seeds! i am looking forward to organic, free run omega 3 quail eggs! wondering what that'll rake in......but i do not intend to rip off people, my eggs will live up to their expectations! plus, my run is humongous, and is filled with trees roosts and grasses, but i still cannot technically call it 'free range' cause they are still penned in:(

8. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    I think a good source of omega 3 is grass.

9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I added flax to my babies foods, also give them cracked sunflower seeds, nuts , sprouts and so much more.... Every day! But my girls did not take to the flax, they just refuse it. I still add anyways hoping they will eat some. They free range now for more then 8/10 hours a day . I think there pretty much full of omega lol

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    i am looking forward to organic, free run omega 3 quail eggs! wondering what that'll rake in

Depends where you are at.
    Around here, you would get from .25 to 2.00 a dozen for quail egg depending on the time of the year and it doesn't matter if there organic, free run, omega 3 or regular old quail eggs.

Chris​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by