Good whole wheat bread recipes????

mizauntcathy'shenhouse

Songster
11 Years
Sep 18, 2008
Huntsville, TX
I'm trying to find a good whole wheat or whole grain bread recipe. The one I have is good and my family loves it, but I would like to make something different.
smile.png

This can also be done by hand or in a stand mixer with a dough hook.

Light Wheat Bread
By Peter Reinhart
1 loaf

1-1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons powdered milk
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons honey
2-1/2 cups white flour
1-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
3 teaspoons yeast

Put in bread machine in the order listed, select dough cycle and press the start button.

When the cycle has finished and bread is through rising, remove the dough from the machine, shape it and place it in a pan.

Allow it to rise until double…about 20 to 25 minutes then bake in a 350° oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until internal temperature of the loaf reaches 190°.

Remove from pan and cool on a cooling rack.

Last edited:
We just made an Irish Wheaten Bread. It wasn't quite as good as what we had in the UK, but it was tasty. It uses 100% whole wheat flour and soda, no yeast.

I can post the recipe if that fits what you are looking for.

I'd love to try the bread without the yeast. I make a wheat bread similiar to the first reply....the family loves it, I've made 6 loaves since Thursday (we gave one to a neighbor) and have almost finished the last loaf (we have had company in and out over the weekend). Needless to say my family loves it, but I wanted to try something different.
smile.png

Irish Wheaten Bread (from Barry's Tea)

4c ww flour
1 1/2 c buttermilk
2 Tbl sugar
1 1/2 Tbl baking soda
1 Tbl salt

Preheat oven to 350F and butter a med sized loaf pan. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add butermilk and mix thoroughly until it reaches a doughy substance. Using a lightly floured surface, knead the dough. Place in buttered pan and bake for roughly 50 mins. Remove and let cool.

This was good with butter, but I think it would have been too crumbly for sandwiches. However, it was the first time we had ever made a soda bread AND we didn't get the type of flour we ordered, so it wasn't the best for bread-making.

Back
Top Bottom