Good winter layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stamper, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Stamper

Stamper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Are there any breed that are great winter layers I should know about? I'm about to order my first chickens (only had ducks in the past) and I would like to get a variety of breeds to have eggs as much of the year as possible.

I like smarter birds, if that factors in at all, not just "egg machines." [​IMG]

What would be a good assortment of chickens for eggs all year?

2. TechEdFireman

TechEdFireman Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a mixed bag as you can see from my signature. They laid a dozen a day all winter long, I had a 2' fluorescent light on 24/7 so that helped b/c before that I was only getting 5-6 eggs again. They have slowed down with the weather change and molting. But last summer they were putting out 15-16 everyday.

3. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    My black sex link hen has laid almost every day, large eggs, since she started to lay at 19 weeks. She is sweet and non - aggressive, and comes running when I pull in the driveway or call to the chickens. When she was younger she would fly up to my shoulder and stay there as I did my chicken chores. If I could only have one chicken, that would be it for me.

4. lkm24

lkm24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    My chanteclers laid beautifully through the winter. Though right now for some reason they're slacking. (Was just about to post a query about that.) But for much of the winter (their first year) we were getting an average of 9 eggs from 12 chickens daily. We're on a mountain in upstate NY and temps get down to minus-20 something with powerful winds.

They take a longer time than average to get to maturity. And they're broody, at least ours are - which is one of the reasons for our lowered productivity now. They love to forage.

5. joy

joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Lancashire England
    My black rocks are great layers.

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    When they were younger my RSLs laid every day regardless of season. My Delawares were a little slow getting up to speed but by November last year I was getting solid numbers form them -- whether they were in the coop with added light in the morning or not.

7. Stamper

Apr 1, 2009
    Thanks everyone! That gives me a start!

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My sex links laid ALL winter almost every day. When the others slowed down a lot. I did keep a heat lamp on in their coop 24/7 though too.

9. Stamper

Apr 1, 2009
    What are the winters like where you all have your chickens?

It's pretty much 50 or 60 degrees all year round here but the day length does vary quite a lot.

Do temp and daylight both affect laying? I always thought it was more the day length but perhaps I'm wrong...

10. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:that doesn't really count as winter....... lol you definitely shouldn't have too many problems with most breeds, just have a light come on at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning to help 'em wake up and start the day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by