Good Winter Layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roseymama, Jul 26, 2010.

1. roseymama

roseymama New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi... I don't know if this is in the right forum, but I've searched and searched and can't find an answer... so I'm gonna post a question here, and I hope it's ok!

I'm looking for good winter laying chickens.... any advice?

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    My white leghorns would lay through a blizzard if you gave them a nest box.

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

When I had layers and a diverse flock my three most dependable layers were : Leghorns, Brahma (they usually only lay 3-4 eggs a week though), and LF cochins(again only an average layer ) . They kept up their usual laying for me - they didn't seem to know it was cold weather outside - lol Keeping a larger coop size than necissary for the # of birds, and it being warm and not drafty also is a big deal with helping hens keep up laying - also making sure they get extra protein and have access to oyster shell or any source of calcium will go a long way in my experience.

4. momofspoiledchicks

momofspoiledchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    South Carolina
    My Buff Orpingtons are GREAT winter layers!

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree my friend's orphingtons were super layers in winter as well - just like my leghorns they didn't seem to care or know it was 20 degrees outside - lol.

6. n3kms

n3kms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Do they lay great in winter regardless of lighting? I read they need extra light to lay in winter.

7. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    All my chickens are winter layers. With no extra light they still layed everyday to every other day. Buff Opringtons, Barred Rock, Dominique, Wyandotte, Delaware, RIR, Leghorn, Easter Eggers. Just give them some nesting boxes and they'll do the rest [​IMG]

8. Birdbrain99114

Birdbrain99114 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Colville, Wa.
    Our black and red stars layed regularly throughout the winter. We would get 4-5 eggs per day from the 5 of them. Had a heat lamp on the wtere when it got real cold but that was the only artificial light provided. Sweet, spoiled girls, my hens![​IMG]

9. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Faverolles! My girls never slowed down all winter. [​IMG]

10. n3kms

n3kms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks, I was confused. The books tell you that they have to have so many hours of light to lay eggs. I am glad to hear that is not entirely true. Between broody, molting, and winter I was wondering when they laid eggs. I figured it couldn't be as complicated as the books said or there wouldn't be so many people on this forum enjoying so many eggs and chicks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by