goodbuy sweet compost pile

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nightshade, Aug 9, 2007.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Well it is offical my compost pile has gone to the chickens. What they didn't eat in my regular old on the ground pile. Hubby built me a tumbler which I got just to keep my chickies out of my compost. And then I ended up feeding them almost everything I normally put in my composter anyway. [​IMG] So it looks like the only black gold I will getting in the spring will be boughten or come out of the chicken coop. [​IMG]

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Same here. After months of free ranging they finally discovered the compost. They were in heaven! what the heck, maybe they'll help aerate the pile.[​IMG]

3. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Hmm, I was looking forward to when my girls were old enough to let out of their run and turn them loose on the compost pile. I would think that with all the scratching and foraging, they'd help move things along.

4. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    We've got our compost pile back in the woods aways, right off the path that goes through the trees. The chickens are in love with it.
    There is no longer any path there, needless to say. [​IMG]

5. kelli120

kelli120 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Same here, my chickens have officially claimed the compost pile as theirs.

6. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    Be careful with a compost pile near the woods. I put mine at the back of my yard and something slipped in there and caught one of my birds! Since they like it so much i have decided i might should have put it further from cover where they can watch for danger better.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine is bounded by welded wire strung around a group of trees with a makeshift wire gate. They stick their heads through the 2x4" openings to peck in the pile. If I ever want it leveled, I'll just let them in because they are the best little rototillers in the business, LOL. Last time we let them inside, they found a goldmine in mealworms and they've never forgotten. A chicken never forgets!

8. psimek

psimek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2007
    Most of the courtyard where I have the school garden & chickens is clay. I couldn't stand looking at it anymore & so I had some horse manure delivered. OMG! It was so exciting for the chickens! You'd had thought I ordered them fast food!
    I have the compost in a bin made of chicken wire. I had wondered why they often hang out there & poke their heads inside!
    They also make a mess of the mulch around the trees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by