Goodbye Chickie Bird!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Moonwalker, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    I decided today to put the little silkie that started my chicken infatuation down today. She was getting better for a while, then the past few days has started having seizures again and could not stay upright for more than a few minutes before flopping around.
    So I decided that although she was still gaining weight and eating good, she would always have to be indoors, alone so she wouldn't get picked on, or stepped on etc. Also, flopping around outdoors in a pen or coop, she was in danger of hitting her head again. Which may be the reason she suddenly got worse again, even though she had padding on the cage and was on carpet.
    SO anyway, she is gone and won't be suffering anymore.
    I am grateful to her for making me learn a lot about chickens and getting me to join this group!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry. Its one of those awful things responsible pet/chicken owners sometimes have to face. Sounds like it was time. My condolences. [​IMG]

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'm sorry for your loss. I think part of loving animals is knowing when it is in their best interest to let them go. [​IMG]

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am so sorry moonwalker. I know that one day I will have to make that decision [​IMG]

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    So sorry. It is always a hard decision to make but, it sounds like it was time.
    [​IMG]

6. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    I'm so sorry you had to let her go. I haven't had to make that kind of decision yet, and I can't imagine how hard it must be.

7. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Thanks everybody!
    I am one of those people who will go to extremes to save a sick or injured animal, and have saved many that others had given up on. But I have also learned over the years that there ARE some that just can't be saved, or if they are saved, will not be able to lead a normal, pain free life.
    That is the time to let go.
    It's a hard decision, especially after getting attached, but we have to think of what's best for the animal, not our reasons for wanting to keep them with us.
    I did get attached and she was interesting and chatty, but she was suffering.
    But the best thing that came from my trying to help her was that I met all you people!

8. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    IM sorry she was sick, but shes in greener pastures now.

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww Moonwalker....what a great and responsible chicken owner you are. And Brave. Thats the hardest part about haveing pets..or any animals under your care. Thankfully you have the strength to no let her suffer any more. She is now happy, and healthy, in HIS flock.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm sorry for your loss of Chickie Bird.
    That's such a hard, and loving decision to make.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by