Goodbye Chickie Bird!

Moonwalker

Songster
12 Years
Jan 9, 2008
Washburn, MO
I decided today to put the little silkie that started my chicken infatuation down today. She was getting better for a while, then the past few days has started having seizures again and could not stay upright for more than a few minutes before flopping around.
So I decided that although she was still gaining weight and eating good, she would always have to be indoors, alone so she wouldn't get picked on, or stepped on etc. Also, flopping around outdoors in a pen or coop, she was in danger of hitting her head again. Which may be the reason she suddenly got worse again, even though she had padding on the cage and was on carpet.
SO anyway, she is gone and won't be suffering anymore.
I am grateful to her for making me learn a lot about chickens and getting me to join this group!

I'm so sorry. Its one of those awful things responsible pet/chicken owners sometimes have to face. Sounds like it was time. My condolences.
sad.png

I'm sorry for your loss. I think part of loving animals is knowing when it is in their best interest to let them go.
sad.png

Thanks everybody!
I am one of those people who will go to extremes to save a sick or injured animal, and have saved many that others had given up on. But I have also learned over the years that there ARE some that just can't be saved, or if they are saved, will not be able to lead a normal, pain free life.
That is the time to let go.
It's a hard decision, especially after getting attached, but we have to think of what's best for the animal, not our reasons for wanting to keep them with us.
I did get attached and she was interesting and chatty, but she was suffering.
But the best thing that came from my trying to help her was that I met all you people!

Awww Moonwalker....what a great and responsible chicken owner you are. And Brave. Thats the hardest part about haveing pets..or any animals under your care. Thankfully you have the strength to no let her suffer any more. She is now happy, and healthy, in HIS flock.

Back
Top Bottom