Goodbye Coons!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gamebirdboy, Jun 16, 2011.

1. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    So I lost a few Cornish X's and a layer to some coons. I set the live traps and a coyote tore them to pieces. Then a cat got some quail and a possum tried to get my rabbit's litter. So I killed the possum and now it's time to get the rest. Just fixed the traps and 30 minutes later we got a cat. Now we're fixing the last one and I'm setting out with a pellet gun tonight, goodbye coons, hope you liked chicken.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I wish ya luck, Robert, but I think you`ll find coons are tougher than a pellet gun, even a strong one. If that`s the case, better get a .22 or bigger.........Pop

3. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    If your going to kill something, ensure you do it quick, fast and with one shot!! A bb gun to kill a coon is slow and painful and often times will not do the job.

4. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I think I'll use a 22 instead, I moved the traps to where I can. The count so far is 3 cats, I'm setting out all of the traps tonight. Just got done taking care of the cats. They've had about 3 litters so there's way too many running loose...

5. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Good luck on getting your coons! I've been catching my own chickens lately, especially a buff orpington...and there isn't any bait in there!

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I've killed 7 coons with a high power .22 caliber pellet rifle. Used properly, head shots will drop them quickly. I do prefer a .22LR, but shooting that at night worries the neighbors.

7. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:That's why I didn't want to, the three cats are gone. I hope I can take out a lot of them this summer, and get some hides in the process.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by