Goodbye Dorothy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oesdog, Jan 30, 2013.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Some of you know we were struggling a good while with our little Dorothy.
    She had been eating fine but not putting on weight for a while. She had at one time had IB but had survived and this naturally left her weak when the weather got cold and damp. This last year was particularly hard on her. Today she collapsed in the yard and I managed to find her. I washed the mud off her face wrapped her in a towel and took her inside where she passed away in my arms. She had been out enjoying the first of the sunshine and had eaten fine today. But managed to get her head caught in the fence a few weeks ago and didn't seem to rally well after that incident. We will miss her as she was a charactor and always under your feet and wanting to be involved with everything you did.

I will miss her funky eggs ( IB eggs are usually funky shapes and weak.)

She was a rescue hen and spent 3 happy years here with our girls and her two sisters Agnes and Florrence. They seem to miss her already.

OES

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so very sorry for your loss...

Thinking of you

Suzie

3. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I'm so sorry to hear this. The time spent with you must have been wonderful for her and even though you are saddened by her loss, you should be happy that she was given the gift of your love.

4. wantbantams

wantbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    Just remember what a great gift of life and happiness you gave that sweetie. Blessings to you for your love!

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    It is so hard to lose a special one. [​IMG]

6. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    So sorry for your loss and Dorothy...

7. stumpy33

stumpy33 New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm very sorry for your loss. It is most definitely hard to lose a pet that has shown love and thankfulness for the love and care it's received. At least she died in the arms of her beloved owner than alone and scared. I'll be thinking of both of you tonight.

8. meghan humbert

meghan humbert New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    I have an emergency my rooster got attacked by my dog and the my hens were pecking at him. He has a hole in his back, he is not walking. He is breathing ok but I'm so worried about him. Any advice

9. stumpy33

stumpy33 New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    Very sorry to hear that Megan. My rooster got attacked by possums on Saturday night. The wounds got infected so was facing and uphill battle. Don't have much advice bec I very new to this rooster world. I do know you should flush and clean the wounds with peroxide and or betadine. Try to do it quick and prevent infection before it starts. I would take to the vet as I did. I felt better after!!!

10. meghan humbert

meghan humbert New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    Thank u. I've cleaned it and put bag balm on the wound brought him inside and I'm hoping he makes it through the night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by