Goodbye Edwina :-(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ZoeZoo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. ZoeZoo

ZoeZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Edwina is the hen in my avatar.

yesterday I got home from town. I got out of the car, came inside and then my dad said, "hey, the girls are making a lot of noise! Is something wrong?" I looked out the window.
    There was a heap of white something.
    Oh gosh please be snow... don't let it be Edwina!
    I went outside in combat boots about 5 sizes too big for me. The closer I got, the more and more the white heap looked like feathers. I knelt down, and pulled her face out from under her body. There were some smears of blood, I think her neck was broken and her body cavity was hollowed out.
    It was Edwina. My only leghorn. The leader. The sweetheart.
    "I'm so sorry..." I whispered as my dad took her away. It looked like she fought hard and made a rukus- good. Then I numbly went over to the run. a small square of wire my dad had just added on, was pulled loose. The hole was maybe 2'x1', feathers scattered about. The body was about 10 meters away from the run. We might have scared the predator -most likely fox or racoon- away from the murder site when we came home. The other three hens were okay, minus a few scratches on their combs.... well, OK minus their leader. Edwina was the rooster of the bunch and it was so obvious she gave her life for theirs [​IMG]

Later as I cleaned the other girl's scratches I was crying and talking to them. They were clucking really nervously. They miss poor Leghorn too.

Edwina,
    You won' be forgotten. You always stood up and when the time came you protected your flock. You knew just because you're the best egg layer doesn't mean you can't crow too! You were so clever and always escaped, but all while keeping an eye on the flock. Whenever you saw a human, you were always there asking for treats and coming to greet us. I know I'm never going to find another hen like you, and we'll all miss you dearly. You gave your life for theirs, so thank you.
    Visit me in a dream some time soon ♥

Does anybody know what might have done this?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. Bianca67

Bianca67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Cedar Springs, MI
    So sorry for the loss of your Edwina. [​IMG]

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I am so sorry for your loss. You gave her a wonderful tribute...clearly, she was a very special girl. I've been through this, and it's awful. This is the price we pay when we allow ourselves to get close to these wonderful creatures. It's a steep price, but I think it's worth it. Don't let anyone tell you it was just a chicken.

4. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] It's always the favorite.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So sorry.

6. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Sorry. It is always hard to lose the favorite lady in the coop.... Keep a feather.... It might help from time to time.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry about your brave Edwina.
    JJ

8. LOVEIGEE

LOVEIGEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I'm so sorry too.....my mascara is running......[​IMG]

9. ZoeZoo

ZoeZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
  10. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    I'm so sorry for your loss of Edwina. [​IMG] It's so hard to lose our feathered babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by