Goodbye everyone :(

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by caohorse, Nov 28, 2013.

1. caohorse

caohorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone, I have been a proud chicken owner for years and I have joined this community because of this. I have found so much help and support! Thank you all. Yesterday I got a letter from the city saying I can't own chickens. My stupid neighbor has given us trouble since we moved here. He has reported us many times for our roosters, which we have always find good homes for before they start crowing. Now we only have hens, which make no noise whatsoever, yet my neighbor kept reporting us to the point of the city getting annoyed at him. Now they are making us destroy our coop and get rid of all my ladies [​IMG] the San Luis obispo chicken ordaince says that I can keep less than 20 hens whithin city limits without a permit, but now they are saying no livestock. I just don't know what to so anymore. Does anyone have any ideas?

God bless
    Andrea

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
  2. garp94

garp94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    New York
    I would call the town's main office, pretend to be considering getting chickens, give an address far away from where you live and ask about the rules. If they say you are allowed. get a copy of the ordinance [ and of course get the name of who you speak to].
    That might help you fight the order telling you to get rid of your flock.

And i would start looking for things your neighbor does wrong to complain about AFTER this is completely resolved. [to complain now the town would dismiss it as retalitatory even if it has merit]

Sorry for your dilemma.

Isn't it wonderful the gov't has the power to tell us what to do on our own property???

2 people like this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    http://www.codepublishing.com/ca/sanluisobispo/
    Type "chickens" in the search box. Chapter 6.28 explains it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  4. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I just read over the laws from that link above and it looks like to me they have no legal grounds whatsoever to make you get rid of your chickens, UNLESS they are able to find you in violation of one of the other codes. i.e if your coop is too close to yours or your neighbors homes or if they can say that the coop or pens are not properly maintained/cleaned.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  5. caohorse

Thank you :) sadly, our coop is within 50 ft and we don't have the land to move it :(

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Ah I see. I am sorry this is happening to you. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. I live in San Luis Obispo CA too. I am very sorry about your complainer. If I can help change this I will. I live in Edna Valley out in the country so I don't have to worry about that. How many hens do you have?
    Good Luck!

8. caohorse

Thank you :) I have 7 hens but I am giving 2 away :(

9. Neighbors should just keep their mouths shut! Are they making you get rid of all your hens?

10. Big Bubba

Big Bubba Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    We had an interesting case here where people were in a similar situation as you. Believe me, this is a stab in the dark. Prove that the chickens are household pets. If the coop is connected to the house, it is a little easier to prove. The people here said they don't sell eggs and, thus, proved they were just pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by