goodbye incandescent bulbs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pokey, Jan 4, 2011.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    I use 100 watt bulbs for brooder bulbs to keep chicks warm.those types of bulbs will no longer be available soon.what are you going to use for heat if you do the same?

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I use 125 watt brooder bulbs. I'm sure they will still be making those.

3. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    my worse nightmare ((almost))...i also use the 60,90,100 watts for smaller brooder boxs where a regular 125 or 250 would be a overkill...resulting in fried babychicks ...i am stocking my closet with bulbs !!!!! every trip to store i slip in few boxs... i get so tired of gov. passing laws without asking the general publics opinion...bet not one did a survey regarding lightbulbs..and useage of them. but , can bet someone with a new "energy saving " product had friends in gov. to sell their product...ranting - sorry.... the pig tail- corkscrew bulbs really do hurt my eyes..make me look old in the bathroom mirror..and becuz of the size..none of our light fixtures fit..altho i have read somewhere they are making them smaller..havent seen them yet in the few stores we have to shop in....sooo energy saving..nope..used up all my energy just ranting about them !!!!

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    I have been stocking up too. The 250 watt cost too much to run

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Time to get some broody hens!

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i honestly HATE!!!! those new light bulbs, they take about 2mins to fully illuminate the room, sometimes i have to go in a room in a hurry to get something, but NOOOO!!! i have to wait atleast a minute for the bulb to fully illuminate the room [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:2x and they put out a glare tint to it, not the soft illumination of the bulb.

8. owler

owler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Northen NJ
    Quote:2x and they put out a glare tint to it, not the soft illumination of the bulb.

And don't ever, and I meam ever, use the new outdoor flood lights for security. I made the mistake. In the warmer weather they barely produce any light for a few minutes. In the cold weather I have to go outside to see if the light is on or not. They literally do nothing for a good five minutes.

9. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree,. they are a dull depressing sort of light.
    Hate them,..

10. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Don't forget that you can't just throw them in the garbage. They need to be recycled so I have a whole pile of the stupid things in my house waiting to go in. They don't last as long as they say either. I've had some that last only a couple of months and it's not like they were on 24/7. Just go buy a case of 100 watt bulbs. I think I'm going to stock up on 60 watts for my light fixtures, especially the bathroom ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by