Goodbye To My Very Best Friend...I'll Miss You Roo Boy <3

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Miyashi, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    A bit about Roo first...
    I always thought he was a white D'uccle...I was told he was part Sultan which made sense...so to me he was half D'uccle and half Sultan.
    I got him a little over a year ago.
    He was the sweetest...he knew his name...he talked when you talked to him...he'd lay in my lap on his side and look up at me with the sweetest face in the world.
    He only did his "spanish dance" for me, not the hens. Kinda weird...but cute.
    His crow was awkward. His walk was awkward...he just was awkward.
    In the end of winter, we had a very nasty cold snap. His toes got frostbit and he eventually lost them. I ran oddly before he lost his toes, but the lack of toes didn't slow him down.
    In the spring, we tried integrating our coops...my Mom's rooster almost killed Roo. He spent a week in the house in my room recuperating. I didn't expect him to make it...but I did my best and he pulled through.
    This bird has been my only friend since I've moved away from everything I know. He was there when I was sad, mad, whatever and he always brought my mood down to a volume that was normal if not the best.
    He was sweet to the girls...he spent his entire day looking for food for them and if he found something he would sing and sing and sing until they came running. If he found a good nest, he had to inform them of that as well.
    My hen recently had babies....sadly, none of them were his.
    But...they all slept in his nest box with him and he cuddled them. I think he did more for them than Yeta (the hen) did. There's was always room in Roo's house for the babies. (My boyfriend and I coaxed him into sleeping in a box after he lost his toes, figured it would be easier on him.)
    Today...it was very hot...I spent the entire day running from the freezer to the coop and the horses making sure everyone stayed cool.
    The last time I was out, I saw him, we chatted. I went in and went to the store to get some food for dinner....
    I came home, my Mom came home...I had only left them for an hour or two. I was sitting by the run looking at everyone, then I thought, where's Roo? So I looked through their door I could see from the run and he looked like he was stuck in the feeder...like he had passed out?
    So I started doing the "Oh God, Oh God!"
    Got inside, Mom tried to move him....his head was stuck. (I have the normal galvanized hanging feeders) He had suffocated in the food....
    Our best guess was...someone jumped down from the perch and landed on his head which shoved it under the lip. If he would have just turned his head to the side a bit...he could have gotten out. So...I feel like a horrible Mom....
    I was with them all day...I leave them alone for a few and my best friend is gone....
    We just finished burying him.
    My boyfriend just got out of work and should be here soon...he'll be upset too.
    I'll never find another like my Roo Boy...Roo Roo...Rooby.
    I know it was a lame name...but if you knew him, you would have thought it suited him.
    Here are all the pictures I have....
    Thanks for listening to his story....he was a good boy...the best boy....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    That's so sad! What a horrible way to lose a bird.

4. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    That's so horribly sad [​IMG] I'm sorry for your loss.

5. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Aw! That sucks SO MUCH! He had a double comb too! I just rehomed my cool ass roo who had a double comb. Id never seen one like that before. I hatched him from my Polish Roo (with my brown leghorn) that I had to rehome and was my favorite. I hate that!

I'm so sorry for your little boy. It wasn't your fault. You are NOT a bad momma. Those things happen and it SUX.

6. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    [​IMG] he was beautiful

7. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Im so sorry for your loss. He sounded like a sweetie. I bet he misses you too (im almost crying here because i am thinking of my loss witha very special chicken). -pats head- sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    [​IMG]

What a neat guy he was. He was lucky to have had you as his guardian. You are not at fault here at all.

So very sorry

9. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry Ciara. Roo sounds like he was such a sweet, sweet boy. Your story was a wonderful expression of ❤love❤. It actually made me cry. I can tell he was a really loved bird. You were a great mommy too! You are right that it was really hot here in MI yesterday and you were very attentive to your animals. It's not your fault Ciara. Sometimes things are just unavoidable, but your are a good mamma and take good care of your babies. [​IMG]

10. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    How many experiences you had together! Sounds like you were an awesome caretaker. We can't make our chickens lives totally safe, otherwise they would all live in huge hamster balls! What kind of life would that have been for Robby? He wouldn't have been able to sing to the hens, or do his Spanish dance for you.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by