Goodmorning from Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lyn Fairbairn, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Lyn Fairbairn

Lyn Fairbairn New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Hi there, I am jumping in to introduce myself as this is my first time with Back Yard Chickens. My name is Lyn, I am 50 years old and live in Victoria, Australia. I am a stay at home Mum to 3 almost grown children and wife to Mark. We call hens 'chooks' so if you see that word, that is what I mean. Baby chooks we call chickens. Confused yet...lol.. I have had chooks my whole life and have had a huge variety of breeds. I love animals of all sorts and currently our pet family include: 2 goats, 2 geese, 1 duck, 10 chooks, 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 goldfish. We don't currently have a rooster, everyone got sick of the early morning (and sometimes all day) wake up call. I am looking forward to hearing from you all. Lyn

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Lyn, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Best of luck to you and your chooks!

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I wondered where the term "chooks" came from now I learned something, thank you

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Lyn, welcome to BYC.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. toys123

toys123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Victoria Australia
    Hi lyn.. I'm from Vic too and only joined the forum today. We're farmers and have an array of animals ourselves. Welcome to BYC :)

9. Horabed

Horabed New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Lyn,
    I'm from Vic too. Newbie. Know nothing but planning on building a coop and having just a few chooks. Still trying to decide on coop design and haven't really thought about type of chook yet. What do you recommend? Only want layers, not anything for show, but wouldn't mind an unusual looking (in a nice way) chook and/or different coloured eggs in the process.

Cheers

10. Lyn Fairbairn

Lyn Fairbairn New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    I really love Barnevelder as a breed. The eggs are a beautiful chocolate brown and the chooks are friendly. Where in Vic are you? There are lots of different pre fab chook pens on the market but I think any you get should have access to the nesting boxes from the outside. As much as I enjoy my chooks, getting in a pen to collect eggs each night, especially in winter is not my idea of fun. Nice meeting you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by