Goodness, a day old chick ALREADY in chicken jail

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by txchickie, Apr 8, 2009.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG] What the heck? The little dude (which I am beginning to think that it is quite obviously a rooster [​IMG]) will NOT quit pecking the eyes and beaks of the others!

I've seen him chowing down on chick food, drinking well, etc...He's just a pest! I've never seen anything like it. Could there be something wrong? For the last 2 hours it's been non-stop harrassment from him LOL! He laid down to rest for just a little bit and then got right back up and went to pecking and trampling on and knocking over the others. He's no bigger than any of the others, he's just a bully.

He's now by himself (which I do feel bad, but I also feel bad for the ones getting picked on!) in a clear tupperware bowl in the brooder. He's got food and water, but is super upset that he can't get to the others and is running around pecking the sides of the bowl [​IMG]

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    [​IMG] Curious about what you're to do as well, what you've done is what I'd do but I don't have chicks yet so I'm curious what the others will say!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are you using a red light or white?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When I have a chick like that I usually take an old sock and put several of them in the sock. They stay warm and cozy and sleep for several hours. Then I put them back in the brooder so they can eat and drink. He is not really a bully, he is trying to figure out what he can eat and what he can't eat.

After several trips to the sock, they figure out that eating FOOD is the way to go.

By the way, do not put the sock in the brooder where the heat lamp is. They will get way too hot.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Curios as well.. When i had mine in with a white light they pecked eachother horribly.. Switched to red no pecking...

6. NellyCrowe

NellyCrowe New Egg

Apr 8, 2009
    I have the same problem. I'm using an incandescent light for heat as it's plenty warm where they are. My Maran is a beast! I just picked them up from the feed store and she's drawing blood from my Ameracauna and my Deleware. And Yes - she's in Chick Jail. And she's not pleased in the least.

Any suggestions? I hate to see her stressed out trying to get back with the other babies.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Read my post above, it really works. That is a trick my granny taught me.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hi and welcome to BYC. Many people have found that using a red bulb for heat instead of the white seems to calm down the extra sensitive, hyper pecking chicks.

9. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Hi, I'm sorry to run off!

It's a red light. Crazy, eh? I tried putting him back in with the rest and he ran over and attacked the leg of one that was laying down sleeping [​IMG] back in jail he went!

ETA: I had the thought of taking the light away totally and placing our ceramic heater near the brooder for warmth and turning out the lights. Maybe he would sleep that way?

Oh and the sock, I put other chicks in with him?? I'm afraid he'd have them all bloodied!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  10. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    we had one like that too, we came home and it wanted to pester all the others; pecking at their beaks and pushing them out of the way. then they would try to catch some sleep and it woulf be awake pecking at everyone and waking them up. we had our suspisions that this was going to be a roo, and seems he has a bigger comb than all the rest now (they are 3 weeks old). just a 'pecking order' type thing i guess. but he doesn't do it nearly as much as he was in the beginning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by