Goodness... Guinea woahs!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by StevenW., Dec 18, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Ok, I'll start from the beginning. Last night it was going to get around 10 degrees F so I though I would just scatter the half bag of pine shavings around the guinea coop so they'll have some extra warmth since they like dump they water on the bedding. Anywho, This morning when I went out to refill their water they had ATE every single piece of shavings in that coop! [​IMG] I was stunned! I guess they didn't like the shavings or they thought they tasted good?? I have no idea. I went out to the barn and spread half a bale of straw inside the guinea coop and called it good. I'm not sure if I should have been laughing at them for that or angry for eating them all.

Before anyone asked. Yes they get free choice of grit and none of them have impacted crops or anything like that. They were acting completely normal this morning and I checked throughout the day and nothing was wrong. I wa just stunned and I still am that they ate piece of shaving.

And we also built them a new roost! They screamed bloody murder ALLLL day long! Thats all we heard was how horrible it was!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
  2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yikes, that's a lot of shavings to consume, it's not just crop impaction you have to watch out for, they could end up with intestinal blockage even further down. Hopefully it all comes out fine at the other end [​IMG] If you have some juicy fruits and veggies like apples, carrots, zucchini etc you might want to buzz some thru the food processor (grate them) and give them to the Guineas to help keep some extra moisture in their gut for a few days.

Oh and "the manual" to these quirky skitzo birds says that all Guineas hate change, so they tend to scream about anything new in the coop or run, even new perches. Unappreciative brats huh? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    [​IMG] Holey moley....... Hope they will be ok, let us know how they get on. Sometimes I wander about Guineas [​IMG]

4. ozguineafowl

ozguineafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    They are wood guinea fowls [​IMG] with good luck it will pass right through [​IMG]

5. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    How they doin?

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    They are doing great! I didn't see anything wrong, They were eating and drinking fine this evening.
    Still have no idea why they ate them, but they did..

7. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Good news [​IMG] Maybe they needed some roughage [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by