Goodness! My hens went crazy over a tomato.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SpeckledPullet, Jan 26, 2010.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I tried a tomato for the first time and my hens went NUTS over it. They started to bicker a bit, too. I have tried quite a few other treats, but the tomato beats all!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have hung a head of cabbage up for mine. They were scared of the first one [​IMG] but this second one is already half gone after only ONE day. (7 chickens.) I call it a Tether Cabbage.

3. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Quote:Oh, great idea! What type of leetuce do you use? Is it iceberg?

4. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Never feed lettuce in any great amount. It give the chickens the squirts if its more then a tiny treat.
    Raw Cabbage is fabulous though.
    I love the idea of tether cabbage.
    If I tried that with the monsters we grow up here though, it would probably kill them with the back swing [​IMG]

5. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Mine love them too. I give them all kinds of extras from the graden. I learned I had to make sure everyone could get some. Or it would be a cat fight. [​IMG]

6. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    O'yeah, I had a beautiful garden this summer and evertime I picked some tomatoes they always got their share!!! They LOVE them, yet moderation is important, some do experience the squirts!!![​IMG]

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I gave mine a couple of tomatoes once in awhile last summer (17 pullets). One day we were canning tomatoes and I dumped a bucket of the scraps in the run. Many of them got the squirts. As others have said, they are a popular treat but feed in moderation.

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Mine go crazy over tomatoes, too! I don't give them often, but when they do get them they go totally nuts. I love it when they stick their beak right into the tomato and run around with it--so funny! [​IMG] It's great watching chickens go nuts over tasty things. I want to try the head of cabbage trick sometime!

9. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Mine love tomatoes also; in fact that's what the roo in my avatar was eating. I tried the hanging cabbage today. At first they ignored it, but then one got brave enough to take the first bite. I put it up mid-morning and a little over half of it was gone by mid-afternoon. I think it got the chicken vote of approval.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    my girls love tomatoes! I gave them one of the tomatoes that was chillin' in my kitchen getting ready to rot, and they were fighting over it. They love their tomatoes [​IMG]
    they pick up the whole tomato and play keep away, but they can't run with that big tomato! Silly Chooken! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by