Goodness-My SINGLE duck Miss Princess, a WH is loud.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chooniecat, Dec 6, 2012.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    She lost her buddy Sunday to old age and she is getting worse with complaining in the mornings when I come out to feed/release.If she sees me thru the house window she starts a rucus at night when she used to be bedded down for the night. I am attempting to get some ducks off a public pond so don't want to buy ducks for her.She doesn't grasp that when I explain it to her! Maybe she doesn't really care but she sure is noisier. She is eating/swimming fine.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My ducks grieve when they lose a flock member. Your Miss Princess is probably feeling very, very anxious and alone. Try a nonbreakable mirror in with her, maybe even a stuffed animal for company till you can get other ducks.

Be careful (you know this already) to quarantine either MP or the new ducks and keep them separate until you are sure they aren't carrying disease or parasites.

3. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Oh yes. Sad that it may not happen(getting these domestic ducks off the "lake") but like said, I can't be filling up spots that may soon be filled as I would end up with too many ducks. But I will try the stuffed animal idea(have a couple of big-uns in shed that didn't want to throw out!) ty!

4. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Couldn't find the stuffty yesterday and Miss Princess had wandered out to pasture in the dark when I got home yesterday and we had to herd her home. VERY odd for her. So will just make sure she is put away before dark falls.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feel she is grieving, so do watch out for her. I don't mean to sound funny, she may be despondent. See what you can do to get her into the company of a nice flock of ducks, even a small flock.

6. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Am TRYING to find ONE female duck(I would tolerate drake IF there wasn't the possibility of "rescueing" some ducks off nearby campus sludgepit that has a drake) and everyone seems to only want to place pairs,whole flocks,drakes(understandably but..) I am also avoiding people that are breeding for the heck of it as I don't want to patronize them(the way I am-sorry) so its getting kind of frustrating. I would advertise but I kno I would be bombarded with people trying to sell/give me too many or ill or MALE ducks so I haven't advertised. I think of just letting Miss Princess live out her days here but she is only 3 years old and that is a long time to be flockless. Will just have to be patient as I have some emails in for suggestions on how to obtain the domestic ducks off said nearby sludgepit.JUST thought of this-i ramble-placing Miss Princess with someone else but I am so protective of animals I have obtained. oh well.[​IMG]

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I wonder if there is a rescue group anywhere around you.

8. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Not to MY knowledge. I have emails in to the only one I know of(for different reason) and I never get responded to. (can't call ,generally,so..) I tried to adopt from the same rescue years ago when I was in the same situation and was turned down because my ducks are loose during day without fencing and I understand their fear(its THEIR rescue) so I ended up driving 100 miles away to get a free Pekin drake(one that just died!!) This is the only rescue close to me. I would drive an hour or so now to get an adult but like I said am waiting for POSSIBLE ducks off campus pond. Miss Princess just gets put to bed(have to herd her!) couple hours b4 dark. She actually responds when I go out yelling for her.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you not getting the ducks on the lake now? sorry I read your post but it went right over me, I hope you can get those ducks that will ease Miss Princesses loneliness

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  10. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    No one wants to hear about the domestic ducks on this water, apparently. I don't know who else to contact and obviously if I try to get the ducks people call the cops(such nice people-ignorance). Guess I need to wait for the ice to freeze and THEN pitch a big complaint to cops. These ducks, to me, are no different than a dog/cat being left to fend for itself and reproducing. The frustrating thing is I NEED a duck and know of a couple of ponds where domestics are fed bread and could grab one but I have to get with my friend that lives in that community and see if she has spoke with the guy that lives on edge of pond(very congested community-ANYONE there could claim to own and not let me take)(THEN I would have to see who controls THAT pond-lovely) It would be so much easier if I had someone else trying to do this with me but nobody I know thinks its worth the trouble. GRRRR. Miss Princess is at least still eating/drinking/swimming. She just occassionally goes off calling and its sad to me. but she is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by