Goods breeds to try together for our first flock?

McKinneyMike

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
McKinney, TX
I am finalizing the breeds that I wan to start our urban farm with and wanted to make sure that these breeds have a similar temperament. I am looking at adding Wyandottes, Brahmas and Sussexs. What do think if I start them all as chicks? No rooster as part of this flock. Looking at approx 10 chicks to start the flock and that is likely the max given our space.

I am finalizing the breeds that I wan to start our urban farm with and wanted to make sure that these breeds have a similar temperament. I am looking at adding Wyandottes, Brahmas and Sussexs. What do think if I start them all as chicks? No rooster as part of this flock. Looking at approx 10 chicks to start the flock and that is likely the max given our space.

I have wyandottes from an April 8 hatch and Brahmas from a June 3 hatch, the cockerels were flocks were placed together in early August and they are finally normal in the pecking order, lots when they first get up and some as they enter the coop off of the free range. no experience with Sussex. I think I would try it if they are all hatched together. My June 3 purchase had brahma, orpington, australorp, jersey giant, silkie, and old English game bantam and all were great for at least two months until the hormones kicked in then I needed a pullet pen and a cockerel pen, you should be fine with all pullets. I am going to have to decide on only two breeds, the Black Australorp and the Buff Brahma have the lead in my heart and mind.
Have fun,
John

Back
Top Bottom