1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goofy Blue Roo Does His Part to Boost Egg Production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Jul 13, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My 23 week old Blue Orp cockerel, Suede, has been encouraging his young women, two Brahmas and his lovely Blue Orp pullet to lay their first eggs. The Lt. Brahma, Miranda, has been laying since she was nineteen and a half weeks, but the Buff Brahma and the Blue Orp still haven't popped out that first little bundle. It isn't for lack of Suede's trying, though! He crams his huge bulk into a 1' nest box and clucks his sweet little heart out, and keeps showing them the nests. I caught him in the act today, bless his heart. He's such a good boy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    He is so cute! I want him

3. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Good boy, Suede...very paternal!

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] thats so funny. I have read posts by people who cant get the hen to go lay in the nest box.

5. speckledhen

In the past, I've caught my main flock rooster, a Barred Rock, doing the same thing. Another young Barred Rock I had who was hatched with Suede's group, also spent some quality time in the nests, showing his teen girls the ropes. I sure have a bunch of interesting roos here. I can't wait to see what my black Ameraucana boy does when his girls get closer to laying age-he's only 12 weeks old now, so I have a little while to wait on that. Here's Hawkeye and young Maverick, both doing the same thing-they just weren't quite as large as my Suede, LOL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    YAY!!!! There is my little hawkeye. Finally lol. I have not seen a pic of him since january

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What good boys!! I wish my boys would tell the ladies where to go, I keep finding pullet eggs in the sand box! UGH!

8. speckledhen

Don't feel bad; I found two pullet eggs today out behind the compost pile, LOL. Can't figure out how they got there since almost all of them are laying in the nests.
    Stevie, that's an old picture of him in the nests-here's you one more recent that I'm using as my avatar now:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  9. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote:This is neat! I was just wondering about this very thing. My recently adopted dark brahma/bantam cross roo is very keen on the laying hens when they start clucking to lay. He does the same thing -he gets in the nesting box and clucks little encouragements to them. I could just hug him. So far, with the exception of his funny predjudice of the white leghorn hen, John Robert has been a great little roo. -Lynn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by