1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

goofy hen won't get up and leave the box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gwen-n-myk, Jul 26, 2014.

1. gwen-n-myk

gwen-n-myk Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    I have 4 girls, one of 'em has taken to spending ALL her time in the coop sitting in a laying box. I kick her out and take the eggs, but I don't know if they are her eggs or someone elses! She goes right back after I kick her out and check under her.
    if she's broody, how do I get her to stop? She IS laying occasionally; we do get 4 eggs every other day or so (3 on the 'off' days).

2. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chirping

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    Does she do a kind of growl at you when you move her out and puff up all her feathers? if so then I would say she is broody. You can either give her fake eggs to sit on and when they dont hatch she might give up on the idea or you can pop her int a wire bottom box with food and water this causes it to be cold underneath her so it stops her feeling warm and cosy and broody

1 person likes this.
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  4. memphis

memphis Crowing 6 Years

Aug 6, 2012
    Had two go broody this summer. Tried everything & couldn't break either. Spent all summer pulling them out a few times a day so they would eat & drink. The other hens were hopping in the box with them for a quick chat while laying them an egg. I've been referring to them as the enablers! :rolleyes:

5. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chirping

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    Haha! Mine are exactly the same! I have one that stops being broody for a couple weeks then she's back to it, shes just too much of a mother hen bless her

6. hulk247

hulk247 In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    Love my RIR. She is 4 yrs old, and I've only had her for about 2 months. I am new to all of this so I started feeding her scratch grains in the beginning instead of layer feed. She laid for 4 days straight them started dropping off steadily. I finally switched back to the layer feed and after about 7 days of worrying without an egg she finally laid. Now that I finally have her story and calcium in check, she had laid for seven straight days now. I couldn't be more ecstatic. I have 5 other outlets that are on the verge of laying as well so I am getting very anxious . Love this site, and the people on here. Thanks everyone for all of your help.

7. gwen-n-myk

gwen-n-myk Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    thank you! yeah, that's her... and that website was great, thanks! now I have to find a 'broody breaker' of some type lol.

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    The best thing to use as a broody breaker is a dog crate. Just make sure to remove the bottom "tray" so she is uncomfortable...helps keep her from wanting to sit.

9. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chirping

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    I got my dad to make me one out of bits of scrap wood and chicken wire. they dont need to be expensive :-D

10. karenfla

karenfla Hatching

Aug 5, 2014
    my friend had the same problem. Until i took her Monday w/ 2 eggs from another.Since i"ve had her home, she doesn't look like she moved at all????
    She has her water and scratch feed & some maters or watermelon. I pet her when i get home from work and check on her, she raises her butt like a cat and clucks a lil.
    just want to know is this healthy.
    thank you for any help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: