Google search feature doesn't work on my system

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Arielle, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Edited Feb 2012. Update. With the new platform, google esearch is not needed to research thru old threads; but my PC is still at odds with Google and continue to be rejected with the 404 not found msg. Many good sugestions have been made and I am working on those poaaible solutions one by one. Thank you everyone for your technical assistance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been trying to re search this, but boy is it hard when the search button is the problem! LOL

THe word goodgle no longer appears next to the search button; can anyone tell me of a thread to explain of fix this. I'm sorry I'm so computer illiterate--but I'm learning! [​IMG]

THis BYC aacount was created using google chrome; if I log in using Internet Explorer the google search feature is available and very useful. Just a pain when I want to leave a reply. I just have to console myself and get on with the search . . . .

PS I've learned to use the subscribe to this thread feature too. Very helpful when you need help and waiting for responses! LOL

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Arielle,

Here is a link I found that may be a starting place for some assistance.

http://www.guidingtech.com/6579/change-default-browser-make-firefox-chrome-ie-default-browser/

You didn't say what your computer operating system is, and that may help others assist you. It may be that someplace you went, or something your downloaded changed your default browser? Keep adding info as you go to this post...I'll bet that someone in BYC will be able to put their finger on the problem and help you solve it.

If the link is not helpful, get your self to the internet, or to www.bing.com and just type in your question, such as 'change browser' or similar....
    Good luck getting back to your old setup.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THankyou--

Not a techy so info you are asking for I can only guess at.

Miscrosoft Version_._ old version--will see if I can find it. On a Dell PC

How do I reset "default browser"?? My system Tells me I need to log on as admin. to change anything. SHows IE as primary browser with others useable: FIrefox and Chrome.

When I open under "internet explorer" then "www.google.com" is the browser.
    When I open under "goggle chrome" it tries to set up google but gives that same weird msg.
    It searches for google connection and returns with "404 not Found"

Then I tried this:

USe IE, where www.google.com/ pops right in.

I copied the address and brought up google chrome and pasted in that address. Same response : 404 not Found.

I tried this:

Entered bing.com and searched google chrome and found loads of info.

My goggle chrome works, BUT the google.com as the automatic default is not working. I'm talking about the first web site chrome opens to , aka search engine.

How do I make the search engine google .com. WHen I copy and post from IE, it doesn't work. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Did the search function ever work for you?

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:Yes, it did. I LOVED it and spent hours researching chicken subjects. Stopped several months ago and haven't been able to fix it. Was hoping a techy lurking on BYC might know so I can continue reading as things come up with the chickens.

I'm learning though, just computer stuff instead of chickens. LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this doing a google search:

A 404 error indicates that the server itself was found, but that the server was not able to retrieve the requested page.

Why can't it retrieve the page??? I can retreive the page via IE but not Chrome.

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's been that long it's probably to late, but did you try system restore?

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Yes, it did. I LOVED it and spent hours researching chicken subjects. Stopped several months ago and haven't been able to fix it. Was hoping a techy lurking on BYC might know so I can continue reading as things come up with the chickens.

A 404 error indicates that the server itself was found, but that the server was not able to retrieve the requested page.

Why can't it retrieve the page??? I can retreive the page via IE but not Chrome.

Hi could i have the link? Yes 404 does mean the server can not get to it. The thing with IE is it caches everything, so what you are seeing maybe old

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My IE has it right, apparently, and CAN access google, but my Chrome cannot. I looked at the properties of each. (I'm learning so many things) and found IE allows for setting the( sorrry cant remember the term) , it's the first page to search for, anyway. I could not find a user acesss point to reset the page it first looks for.

Found this while researching "404 Not Found":
    Check for errors in the URL. Often times the 404 Not Found error appears because the URL was typed wrong or the link that was clicked on points to the wrong URL.

Still doesn't explain why it won't accept a total rewrite or copy/paste from IE.

Will try again. I really miss reading the chicken stuff.

Tried entering google and the results page comes up google. I click on google and STILL the 404 not found shows up. I AM WRITING THE CORRECT URL ! ! ! ! ! !

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi Call DUck,

Which link do you need??

Hi could i have the link? Yes 404 does mean the server can not get to it. The thing with IE is it caches everything, so what you are seeing maybe old

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:I tried reading about this, if I understand correctly, I can go back in time and dump everything created after a date of my choosing. I need to back up everything before doing this.

Is this what you mean??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by