Gooie Poo in Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kleo, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Kleo

Kleo Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Mid coast Maine!
    I have one Barred Rock that although is moving around with the others (one roo and 6 hens) today has been acting like she isn't feeling well. She is 8 mos. old and has been lethargic with very gooie loose poo. It has been very cold here in ME and has even come to the back door to ask for help. I put her into the garage area in a box with hay to give her a check for a few hours for a couple days. She appeared to like the attention and warmth and looked like she was feeling a little better when put back with the others. You could tell she was having a bit of a problem walking but was the one that always had a problem flying to a high perch. She is out and about with the gang now but isn't herself... gooie poo on her feathers on her back side. Eating better and scratching around.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    The first 9-10 months of a chick's life are important for treating coccidiosis. I would use a water treatment of Corid (Amprolium). Dosage is 1 tsp if the product is Corid 20% powder, or 2 tsp if the product is Corid 9.6% liquid for each gallon of water. Don't let the birds have access to any other water source, and make a fresh solution each morning for 7 days. After treatment supplement water with vitamin and probiotic dispersible powder for 3-5 days. If you don't see improvement during treatment, post here. You can find Corid at most feed stores.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. Kleo

Kleo Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Mid coast Maine!
    Thank you Michael, I will get some this morning and follow your instructions. Penny is such a sweet gal and although looking pretty good this morning, I don't want to lose her, for sure.

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. Protozoa, bacterial, and intestinal worm infections often begin with diarrhea, then progress to enteritis (inflammation and damage to the intestinal tract), then impacted/sour crop. You want to avoid that. Check the bird's body, parting feathers as you go along especially beneath the vent, and look for mites. Check the bird at night with a flashlight when it is roosting. If you find mites or lice, post here.

If you haven't wormed your birds, I would suggest that too. If they are standard breeds, you can give 1/2 cc oral dose of Safe-guard liquid wormer (labeled for goats) with a syringe (no needle), follow the Corid treatment, then give vitamin-probiotic powder in water, then worm again 10 days after the first worming. Sometimes cecal worms can carry a protozoan which causes Histomoniasis and that requires a different treatment. Not trying to get you worried, just to be aware of possible problems. Keep me posted. If after 3-4 days you don't see improvement in the bird's droppings and behavior, post your observations here.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would keep her warm and start weighing her daily on a kitchen or postal scale.

-Kathy

6. Kleo

Kleo Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Mid coast Maine!
    Thank you Kathy. Michael, a question about dosing, I noticed in Kathy's link there is a preventive, moderate and severe dosing instruction for the Corid. What if I am treating all 8 birds with the water, some preventive, Penny for sure and two questionable? Two of the birds are a barn yard mix and smaller?? Just do the moderate? Going to reread the packaging but thought I would ask what you thought. Have the wormer and probiotics also. Thanks, Kleo

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I know you didn't ask me, but I always treat mine at the .024% level for 5-7 days. I'm lazy, so that's usually all they ever get. [​IMG]

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
    The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
    The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
    The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

I have confirmed the above doses with the mfg of Corid and Amprol, they are correct. No offense to anyone, but I'm not sure why people think it's 1 teaspoon powder or 2 teaspoons liquid? I have done the math at least three ways and the numbers are always the same.

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) powder per 1/4 teaspoon
    • One 1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg
    • 1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg
    • 3/4 teaspoon =405 mg
    • 1 teaspoon = 540 mg
    • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 675 mg
    • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 810 mg
    • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 945 mg
    • 2 teaspoons= 1080 mg

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) liquid per 1/4 teaspoon
    • One 1/4 teaspoon = 120 mg
    • 1/2 teaspoon = 240 mg
    • 3/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
    • 1 teaspoon = 480 mg
    • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
    • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 720 mg
    • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 840
    • 2 teaspoons = 960 mg

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    The dosage I recommended is for moderate to severe outbreaks. I've used that dosage for symptoms over the years and it is safe and effective. Corid is much safer than many other pharmaceuticals out there. You won't harm your other birds with that dosage either.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're right, the guy at the mfg I spoke with said that it would be very hard to give them too much. [​IMG]

-Kathy

10. Kleo

Kleo Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Mid coast Maine!
    Michael & Kathy, This is day 7 or the Corid and will start with the wormer tomorrow (my product said not to give to sick birds so I waited until they looked good again). My question is... how long before we can use the eggs they are now laying, after the Corid and wormer is stopped?? Thanks for any help. Kleo[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by