Goon 1 injured!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Daphne_loves_mealworms, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Songster

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    Perhaps the title is a bit dramatic, but he is favoring his right leg. At first glance, I thought his main foot pad looked swollen and thought he might have Bumblefoot. I went through my animal first aid supplies and gathered materials to soak, medicate, and wrap. I went on YouTube and watched duck foot wrapping videos. I was prepared! I enlisted my poor dear husband to catch our little Goon. Once caught, and once he finished protesting, I got a decent exam done. There are no visible wounds or swollen areas. Nothing is abnormally hot or reddened. He protested being touched, but didn’t react more to any particular area being palpated. At this point, my dear husband mentioned that he saw Goon 1 land awkwardly the other day after running and jumping into the pool.

I soaked the foot in Epsom salts just in case (I already had the soak ready), added thicker bedding to his favorite sleeping spot, and gave him some nutridrench as a boost. I also added a bit more Brewers yeast to their dinner.

He is eating and drinking normally and does use the leg, although he holds it up often while resting.

I’m guessing keep him rested and monitor and keep him extra safe from predators?

Quacking Pigeon and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

They can be so clumsy when first landing poor thing probably got a sprain. your doing everything right soak rest and vitamins and especially safe from predators.

3. Daphne_loves_mealworms

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    1D15081C-825E-4F75-8FF4-91E23F4F0422.jpeg Thank you! I will definitely update as I can. I will also have to get new pictures. His caruncles are making progress. He is going to be (well, he already is) a handsome drake.

I did get a surprise when I went into the barn after work today. Hello to you, Goon 2!

chickens really and Knighstar679 like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Aww waiting for you!! We need some new pics

5. Daphne_loves_mealworms

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    Only if everyone promises not to call Goon 2 a drake! :fl

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Daphne_loves_mealworms

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    4D0A7031-8EFB-4D84-9C1E-A2DC61AB57D8.jpeg Ok, I tried to get pictures at dinner time, but everyone was wild this evening. Blurs everywhere! Might have gotten a couple of decent ones.

Miss Lydia and Jpat like this.
  7. Daphne_loves_mealworms

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    2A94F764-7D77-443D-AF64-6276347B2CE1.jpeg

8. Daphne_loves_mealworms

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    E7D96EB4-5635-4F9D-A163-A274E95E0823.jpeg

9. Miss Lydia

They are gorgeous:love

10. Daphne_loves_mealworms

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    Update - sometimes, I think he is doing a bit better. However, it must still hurt him if he moves a certain way. I wish he would spend more time in the pool as that would take pressure off the leg and would be soothing, I would think! When he is in the pool, he is clearly very happy/comfortable. But he insists on wandering about in his limited area. Still eating and drinking great, still no swelling. I know that he will take time to heal, but I’m impatient!

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: