1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goood Morning!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sherry, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    So I go the barn this morning to make sure everyone made it throught the night. The 3-4 week old babies were up and at 'em but the 8 weekers will still on the perch. So I'm filling up the feeder for the babies and I hear Ur, ur ur ur.

Don finally crowed! He did it 3 times. The first time he looked around like "did I do that?" By the 3rd time he had a look of "YEAH, I DID THAT!"[​IMG]

I was thinking now might be a good time to let my neighbors know I got chickens, then I thought, nah, they'll know soon enough. [​IMG]

I'm so proud of my little man.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Way to go Don!!! Sing baby sing!! I am sure the nabors will learn pretty quick about your little roo. LOL
    They wont complain.....will they? Hope you get along good with them..

3. kingsdaughter

kingsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    California
    Thats so funny. Are the eight week olds still wanting to be held and petted? Will roosters let you pet them?

4. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    My neighbors are great. We live out in the sticks, (the mailman doesn't even come out here) plus I have 54 acres. I know they'll appreciate fresh eggs.

They try to run from me when I'm in their in pen. But I can catch 'em and they let me pet them when I do. I just whisper sweet nothings in their ears and they settle right down. They'll eat out of my hand, especially when I have grass or bugs.[​IMG]

5. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    mine are 6wks. we have a lil roo, we call him slick, since he is the only slick legged chick we have, and if you put your hand on the ground he will step up on it and ride. we call it the elevator. they all use to fight over who got to ride but now slick is the only one that will. however, i got a treat yesterday. i was sitting out with them giving them a treat and buffy, she is a buff cochin let me stroke her neck, next thing you know she let me rub her back like a kitten. then she sat down beside me and let me continue. if i stopped, she would inch her way nearer to me so i would continue on. it was so sweet. i love it when they love me!!!

6. chickenmomva

chickenmomva Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Northern Neck,VA
    I have a lil guy who is 14 weeks old and he is crowing up a storm....well as much as he can.......he soulds like a old car horn or a woman screaming....he is so funny and he is so proud of himself too........he well crow 4 or 5 time in a row if we are out in the yard, like to say " Do you hear me" it is really funny.............he has been alittle skiddish but recently he has been getting in my lap to get treats I dont feed him from my hand I will sit a piece down on my lap he is alittle aggressive.......not intentionaly he just gets excited....oh he is a Barred Rock his name is Demon

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sherry, little cockerals learning to crow are entertainment around here often. We bust out laughing sometimes at the manly effort.

Oh ya the neighbors will know you have chickens before long. Then you just bribe them with fresh eggs, if they complain so everyone is happy.

bigzio

8. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Don evidently thinks he can crow only if he is on the TOP perch.[​IMG]

I was so tickled I called my Daddy and got him out of bed this morning to let him know about our first crow. Of course, that was payback 'cause he told me the rooster is where I'd get my deviled eggs![​IMG]

9. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Oh my gosh you have me laughing so hard on the deviled egg thing I about fell out of my chair. My poor dog just looked at me like I was insane. None of mine have tried crowing yet, but they are still lil guys. They are great Houdini's though.....have DH and I puzzled on how they keep getting out of their run. I would love to have them free range, but the coyotes in the area would have other idea's. I really think someone should start recording their lil guys first crows and then turn them into wav files and start a thread on that. Wouldn't that be a hoot! Have a great day [​IMG]

10. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I actually had one trying to crow at about a week, although he hasn't done it since. He stuck his neck out and flapped his little wings---well, they were more like stubs at that point--and he said "Yap!"

Then he looked very surprised and sort of fell down on his little fuzzy butt!

He tried it twice more that day, rather scaring himself each time, but has never had success since. I've seen him crane and open his beak since, but nothing comes out. It's still awfully cute.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by