Goopie eye and head tilt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Inkheart, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Newer to chickens - have a 6 month old hen - her left eye is cloudy and kind of "goopie" She is holding her head oddly sort of to the side - not sure if that is because she cant see out of it so she is holding her head awkward so she can see better? Very lethargic . I gave her a shot of Penicillin G and put teramycin antibiotic eye "goo" Not getting better- any thoughts what this might be ? Thanks

2. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    anyone??? [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Iam sorry I wish I had some advise but the ointment is what I would have recommended. hopefully someone will be able to help you soon

4. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:Thank you so much!

5. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Hate to bump this but i am in need of advice please!!! Thanks !

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Good morning, Inkheart. I am sorry for your hen's illness. I am new to chickens myself and have no experience with your hen's symptoms. I don't have any specific advice for you but I did find this information (link below) that may be helpful to you. You might see if any of your hen's symptoms fit any of the poultry illnesses described here, particularly infectious coryza, which describes a symptom of thick, sticky discharge from the nostrils and eyes. Perhaps this will help until someone with more experience comes along, and best of luck to you and your hen. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:Thank you - there is no real disharge persay - but the eye is swollen and gooey but no nose disharge

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Sorry I wasn't more helpful [​IMG] Hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon.

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Good morning, Inkheart. How is your hen today? Has there been any improvement?

10. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:Thank you for checking on us! She seems to be better more active - but still holding her head oddly. The eye looks better and she is getting more used to me putting her ointment in - she eats - forages all that good stuff sooooo:fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by