goopy eye chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahBeth9394, Apr 22, 2011.

1. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    One of my SLW has a swollen up eye and eye boogers. So I read up a little and am cleaning with water and using a triple antibiotic ointment on it 3 times a day. Only thing is she is scratching it. Is there something that will help with the itching or should I just keep up with what I'm doing.

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    It may not itch at all, when mine have had eye goop they will scratch at it to get the goop out. Keep doing what you are doing and hopefully that'll do it. But I wonder why the eye is like that...an injury? or is it something more of an upper respiratory thing. any nose boogers? coughing or sneezing? If it's just a scratch to the eye or some sort of injury then the ointment will clear it up.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Get some contact lens saline solution for contact lens storage. Wet a cotton ball and use it to gently wipe the eye. The eye might foam a little bit but that's OK. The solution has germ killers in it. It should soothe the eye also.

4. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    No sneezing, no nose boogies, just a swollen goopy eye. I think it's a tad better than yesterday. I didn't think the scratching could be the chick trying to get the goop out. She is doing well otherwise. So I'll keep it up.

5. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    She's already looking better. Swelling is almost gone and very little goo. I'm gonna keep it up for another day just for good measure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by