Goopy eye, no other symptoms, what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunny Side Up, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I have a 6-month-old EE cockerel I'm growing for the table. He's had one goopy eye for 2-3 weeks now that is not getting any better nor any worse. He doesn't have any other symptoms, no wheezing or sneezing or anything else. Just the one eye that is gooped with white stuff, not too liquid-y or runny, but not stiff or cheesy either. I left him untreated for about a week hoping he would shake it off himself, then started giving him injections of .5 cc of Tylan-50 for about a week, and there's really been no change either way. I was also putting a little Terramycin ointment in the eye after flushing it out.

He's being kept in a separate pen, and none of his flock mates have these symptoms.

What else should I do for him? He's coming to the table so I don't want to put too much antibiotics into him, but I also don't want to butcher a sick bird.

And also, is it just a great coincidence or does it seem that when chickens have something affecting one eye that it's usually the left eye more often than not?

2. chickencrazylady

chickencrazylady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Just read your post and I too have a hen currently that had goopy eye. I called an vet and she said to use polysporin medicated eye drops for her, and the treatment 4 times a day for a week, Day 6 is today and her eyes have cleared up wonderfully, I actually thought that she was blind in that bad eye, but now she can see fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by