goopy eyes and limping duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bryntee, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Bryntee

Bryntee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hi!!! I just moved out to my boyfriends aunts farm and went out to see her ducks she has today. Well I noticed the smallest one gets trampled over and it seems one of her legs is hurt. She got stuck while I was out there and I had to pull her out of the little hole she fell in. Then I saw her eye had like green goop around it. I didn't get to look her over fully but am certain she is in bad shape. When I get home I think I may just go get her and bring her inside. (I do currently have a house duck now ;)) anyway any suggestions on how I can help the poor thing? Thanks!

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Clean water for her bath and add a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep ACV in her drinking water, she'll wash her head and face in it and clean up her eyes. I'd dif remove her till she has gotten stronger, how old is she? give her a small area to rest and recoop in so she isn't having to move around alot, and water therapy best in the world to build up muscles, just be sure to stay with her while she is in the tub. Bless you for caring. and please let us know how she is.

1-2 Tab of ACV to 1 gal of water.

4. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    See I don't know how old she is for sure. But I would say at least a year or two. Maybe more but I believe she is younger. Now my house duck (wasn't suppose to be) is from my boyfriends aunts ducks. I put six of their eggs in the incubator and just got Charlie. Well Charlie imprinted on me and is now my baby lol. I'm hoping to slowly get her to go out with the others this spring. I put her out with them today with me and she didn't seem scared but didn't want to be in with them when I wasn't in there lol. Charlie is a black Swedish as is the injured one. There are 3 other black Swedish and 3 white ducks which I'm assuming are maybe pekin? Anyway I'll let you know how tonight goes with the poor thing! Thanks so much!

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You say she stepped in a hole? more than likely that maybe why she is limping, ducks legs can get injured pretty easy. Might see if someone could fill those holes up before another one gets hurt. Hoping you can help her [​IMG]

6. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Well she was limping before she fell in the hole. :( the bigger ducks trample her so bad. :( and the males are very aggressive and shes got more males than females out there. My boyfriend gets so disgusted with his aunt and how they take care of their animals!!!!! We might just have to do it without asking! I'm not telling her I'm taking the injured one in either! Not giving her a choice lol.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not good having more drakes than ducks poor things, I never understand why people want animals then won't take care of them properly. I hope you can help her.please keep us updated, and after her eye heals you might want to pick up some poultry vitamins and start putting them into her water to help build up her immune system. Hopefully she just needs some good ole TLC.

8. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    X2

Thanks for providing those measurements for the ACV, ML... I always forget!

9. faithm130

faithm130 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    My 2 ducks currently are looking a little down right now too. They are being kept mostly in their heated coop but do insist on going outside as well. They have some goop around there eyes, but are still active and eating well. I am afraid to bring them in though because its so warm in the house(75), in the 20 outside. I don't want the heat change to affect them... I just laid down extra bedding, put them inside the coop, wiped down there eyes with baby wipes, and see how it plays out.

10. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Brought the little thing in and I'm not entirely sure but I believe its a male. His quack is way different then my females and he's got the curl feather. Anyway his eyes look much better!!! But I looked at his leg and he can't even stand up really. Just flops around on the ground trying to walk. :( AND it seems where the leg meets the body is REALLY swollen and hot to the touch. When he was swimming it seemed that leg was getting kicked out to the side. I was thinking out of joint but he can move it soooo I'm not sure. Any ideas? He's in a dog carrier now resting. His feathers look yucky and he's very skinny too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by