1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose and Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chickenlover88, May 19, 2007.

1. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    Would it be OK to have my Canada goose and Pekin duck eventually live together. They are both males. My little goose is only 16 days old I vent sexed him as a male my duck is grown and 6 years old. His mate died a few months ago and i'm tired of him trying to mate with my leg. lol It will be awile until he is old enough for them to live togther but I was just wondering if it was possible. Thanks in advance!

Lindsey

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  2. LouManChu

LouManChu Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    hay
    I ducks readely adopt other paddle pushers
    sometimes there slow doing it but every one I on have.
    my 5 J-pekin and 2 cayuga ducks and 2 mallards get alone with my 8 3-week old goslings even the gosling try to rule the ducks, the 2 6-week old goslings dont like the new 3-week old one but they run and swim together they just put there heads down low and hiss at each sometimes but I only just entradused the 3-week old a few days ago and there getting better each day, but thats goose politics ducks are much more ready to adopted other paddle pushers, just hold the gosling in your had and sit next to your pekin and see what they do and even let the gosling run around your feet in front of him and let them get to know each other, if the duck is alone it will most likely wont to adopt the gosling, it the gosling that will want to test the duck.
    hope this helps, I have 20 paddle pushers 2 6-wk old african 4 3 wk old chinese 4 3 week old touluse, 5 6-wk old jumbo pekin 2 6-wk old cayuga and 2 10 wk old mallards and they all sleep in the same pen and run in the back yard together, but before I turn them loose to sleep and eat together I watch them for a few days and seperate them at night till I see how they get alone.
    I got 10 runner ducks coming june 4 from McMurrys and cant wait to see them and intraduce them becuase I've never seen a runner duck in person.
    well lost of luck and you shouldn't have much problems, I've never had a canadian goose but I'm waiting they fly over the house every morning, think i get a five hundred foot net and catch me a cupple [​IMG]

3. madanesor

madanesor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2007
    Won't the goose fly away?

4. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    You can mix ducks and geese, but I would be careful mixing 2 males. If your geese is "lonely" he may hurt your duck by trying to mate with him. being that he is bigger he could abuse him. I would intoduce them slowly and keep a firm eye on them. if he shows agression towards your duck I wouldn't put them together without you being there to stand guard.
    I'm talking from experince that this could be a bad thing. You might want to get them both a female of their breed so this won't be a problem.

Julie

5. Chickenlover88

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    I pinioned my goose so he couldn't fly away if he wanted to. Thanks for the info. Does it matter what breed of goose I get because it will be hard trying to find another canada?

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  6. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Personally I dont think he will care what the girl is as long as it is a girl![​IMG][​IMG] People have mixed flocks all the time.[​IMG]

I definitely think a girl for each of the boys is in order. That will make for two very happy boys![​IMG]

7. Chickenlover88

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    Thanks! I hope I can find some girls. The duck will be easy but i'm not sure how easy it will be to find a goose. I've never seen them for sale around me or anything.

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We are getting 6 goslings and 2 Indian Runners next weeks . I was told by a man that runs a goose rescue not to house the ducks with the geese. He says that it is OK to brood them together and let them be raised together but when grown the geese will get territorial with their house and might attack the ducks. The ducks will not have any where to go inside the house at night and therefore you stand a chance of loosing your ducks. He also said the best time to introduce new geese to older geese iis in the fall. Wild Geese has a tendancy to mix together in the fall when they migrate and farm raised geese do the same thing. Hope this helps. I for one am going to house our ducks alone. I don't want any problems.Micki

9. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    I wouldn't get a Chinese Goose or an african they can be very noisy and aggressive. they are also much taller geese, but something like a buff or an embden would be good. and for the duck you can just about get anything they really aren't picky [​IMG]

the great thing about birds is you can have both male and female and let them breed, this doesn't mean you have to have babies unlike a dog or cat. You gotta love eggs [​IMG]
    Julie [​IMG]

10. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    I have housed ducks and geese together for about 10 years without any problems. There is a pecking order bigger are better in their minds, but they usually just go about there business and ignore the other birds. I have never had a duck injured or killed by a goose. I'm sure some breeds are more agressive than others, you need to research before you buy.
    Julie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by