eggswithlegs11

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
My goose was attacked by the neighbours dog today and lost about 1.5cm of beak. I have put antiseptic on the beak, and washed it out (it was bleeding quite a lot). The vet that deals with geese is not working right now, or probably for at least a couple of more days. What should I do? Do beaks grow back? His tongue sometimes pokes out, and the bottom of the peak is pretty much in tact. He looks like he may be in pain, can I give him pain killers that humans use or only geese related ones? I'm going to keep applying the antiseptic to ward off infection. Is he going to be alright? I haven't seen him eat because when he tries he shakes his beak as if he doesn't like the sensation.
Any tips would be so helpful, thank you.

yes def pictures. I'd call the vets and see if they will give you something for pain because I am sure it's very painful poor thing. Metacam for pain possibly and also something for infection. Keep it clean. Veterycin spray for wounds and infections is really good. TSC carries it.

Soupy feed maybe easier to eat right now like drinking soupy. I don't think there is a chance the bill will grow back but it is amazing how they can heal and compensate for disabilities.

0FF606F5-23C9-41E5-906B-84B2B26F39A0.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 5
These are the best photos I could get (they show the worse side of the damage). He's still quite skittish and doesn't like it when I get too close, so taking photos was a bit difficult.

How is she doing? Is she able to eat? Did you try the soupy mix? I’ll say she can adapt as long as she can scoop you’ll need to give her a deep feed bowl. Just keep it clean you can do that but adding some ACV with Mother into her water bucket. 1-2 Tab to a gallon of water. How’s her back at the neck is that a wound too?

Oh that does look painful. Be careful of the tongue drying out. That is painful too. Might want to make sure she has water available all the time. Does your vet have someone covering for him/her? I'd still call and ask for meds. I'm so sorry this has happened to your duck. Don't worry that she is shy of you. She's scared and most probably in pain. Not unlike a human who just wants to be left alone sometimes. Good Luck, Keep us posted and dispense with that dog too. Neighbors should be responsible. Take care.

He put his beak under a different fence and the dog got him. I haven't let the neighbours know. I just tried to give him the soupy food and he tried to take a bite then shook and opened his beak, as if he were in pain. I've put water and food for him to access at all times but it doesn't look like he's too interested right now because of the pain. That isn't a wound on the back, just dried blood that I couldn't clean off as he panicked. I will go add some apple cider vinegar now and will investigate getting him some meds. I didn't want to use aspirin because I thought that might cause his beak to bleed if he tried to eat.
Thank you all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom