Goose attacked by dog

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi goose members-
My lone goose-Thorne-was attacked by dog that was let out of pen by accident. My flock was free grazing and Thorne got caught. She appears ok. Had one puncture wound under the curved part of her wing on her body. Didn’t see but maybe a drop of blood that was on feathers. Nothing in hole. I poured hydrogen peroxide on it to keep out infection and bacteria. She’s walking around ok but definitely not herself. This is my aggressive goose that I’ve been posting about. She has not made a noise since this happened earlier which is odd. I haven’t seen her eat or drink and I’m worried. Not herself at all. Way too calm but looks concerned. Thought maybe she’s just in shock but reading the posts on here about that doesn’t fit what she’s doing. She appears to be able to move her wings and walks ok just slower than usual. Did see her get in pool stand there. I went ahead and put flock in coop for night. Hoping the controlled and small area will change and improve her behavior. Should I bring her inside for the night? Anything I should be checking for?

My guess is she's more quiet because she's sore and doesn't want to alert predators to her location. She's currently vulnerable. I would let her be and see how she is tomorrow.

Birds that are actually in shock after a dog attack will be very quiet and they don't move. If she's okay by the morning she should heal up.

Her behavior does sound concerning, she could just be open psychological shock, she could have internal injuries, maybe she’s fine but just sore. It’s hard to say.
My guess is she's more quiet because she's sore and doesn't want to alert predators to her location. She's currently vulnerable. I would let her be and see how she is tomorrow.

Birds that are actually in shock after a dog attack will be very quiet and they don't move. If she's okay by the morning she should heal up.
Ok-thank you. Yes-she is extremely quiet and that is not like her. Very watchful and possibly sore like y’all said. Fingers crossed that she’ll be ok.

I'm sorry this happened to your goose. it does sound like she is in shock which is typical so keeping her quiet and contained where she can rest with food and water hopefully she'll be feeling much better tomorrow. Let us know how she is tomorrow.
One question did you check her over real good underneath the feathers to make sure you didn't miss any other wound?

Hi
I did look over her as best as I could. I was lucky I found the one I did because I had to really push and move her feathers. Hopefully there aren’t any more. She doesn’t seem to be favoring or giving a particular attention to any part of her body. Hopefully like everyone has said-feeling vulnerable and maybe sore. I have been checking on her periodically. I’m concerned that she’s not eating and drinking as well-even tried to hand feed her. But that could be due to shock and nothing worse. She’s in coop with her duck charges so hopefully feels safe for the night. I will let y’all know how she is tomorrow. Hopefully will be good news.

I would agree with this assessment. How is she this morning?

I would agree with this assessment. How is she this morning?
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!
Wanted to give an update on Thorne, our goose caught by a dog who I’ve been posting about yesterday. She seems slightly better but still very wary. I checked over her body again last night and didn’t see anything more concerning. She’s not eating like she usually does but is foraging a little and seems to be drinking. Still doesn’t make the noise she usually does and not honking and being the aggressive goose she has been but I’m giving her time. Just feel awful for her but sadly bad things happen even when we do our hardest to prevent it. At least she’s still alive and hopefully on the mend. Thank you for checking!

I would expect her to be more quiet for a week or two before going back to how she was. She may always remain more wary. There can be mental trauma sometimes too, but generally they spring back fairly quickly.

Glad she seems to be feeling better today. That first 24 hours after an attack is generally the most stressful.

Back
Top Bottom