Goose attacked-puncture wounds in top through bottom beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcqzoo2, Jan 11, 2019.

1. mcqzoo2

mcqzoo2 Hatching

Jan 11, 2019
    Looks like a dog may have bit him through the fence? My concern is it looks like the tooth went through the bottom of his beak on one side. U can see it hanging. Tried to push it back but it didn't work. Top of beak damaged also. He ate a few bites of food I ground up, not much. Looks like water may be leaking from it though. I cleaned him up and hes sleeping now. Just joined this site. IMG_20190111_2030251_rewind.jpg from Arizona.

penny1960 and Abriana like this.
  2. LittleCheepers

LittleCheepers Songster

Oct 28, 2017
    Oklahoma
    The poor thing! The only thing I can offer you is my sympathy and prayers for his comfort and a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on his progress.

penny1960, mcqzoo2 and Abriana like this.
  3. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Welcome to BYC! So sorry that you are joining under such circumstances!

I had a beak injury problem earlier this year. My rooster Napoleon had the tip of his beak broken and the "quick" of the beak, which is very sensitive, was exposed quite a bit. The vet recommended neosporin with pain reliever. Too much neosporin with pain reliever is dangerous for birds, but I've heard they'd have to ingest a one ounce tube full, maybe more, but still use sparingly. Wet his food down or give him very soft foods like cooked eggs, apple sauce or yogurt without sugar, or a little bread soaked in milk until it is very soft. First rise the wounds out well with a saline solution, then put vitamin E on the wounds to help them heal, and maybe some plantain oil, as well as the neosporin with pain relief. Rinse daily and apply medicines after rinsing. You will probably need to apply the neosporin with pain relief more often than once per day.

He may be in shock, give him electrolytes to help. If he has trouble drinking because of the hole in his lower beak, you may need to give him water with a syringe directly into his throat. @casportpony is an expert on all things tube feeding and can explain how to properly do this so that he does not get water in his lungs, which may be fatal. I would also give nutridrench mixed in with the water/electrolytes.

Keep him inside out of the cold in a place where you can keep an eye on him and make sure he eats and that he's getting enough liquids.

mcqzoo2 and penny1960 like this.
  4. mcqzoo2

mcqzoo2 Hatching

Jan 11, 2019

penny1960 likes this.
  5. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Also can you get some better more clear pictures? It's hard to see the extent of the injury in the one you have. It is hard to photograph a squirmy bird!

mcqzoo2 likes this.
  6. mcqzoo2

mcqzoo2 Hatching

Jan 11, 2019
    Thank you so much! I didn't think of using a syringe, great idea!

Abriana likes this.
  7. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens you where given some good advice and came in at good place may I suggest posting photos as soon as possible please

Abriana likes this.
  8. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    No problem!

9. mcqzoo2

mcqzoo2 Hatching

Jan 11, 2019
    Thank you! Ill try to get more pics in the morning. Everyone's asleep including him. Keeping him inside for now. You all are great....responded a lot faster than I expected.

penny1960 and Abriana like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: