Goose behavior?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by artsyrobin, Aug 20, 2010.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    hi, i have a young chinese goose (i think) and he has been raised around the ducks, and chickens but lately has been nipping the chickens if they get too close- he is almost 6 months old- not sure of sex, but calling him a he- their pond dried up since its been so dry, so they have been with the other poultry more than they normally are-

[​IMG]

2. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    My geese were raised w/ chickens and the male always nips at the chickens, and the kids and the dogs... I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets too aggressive. They are nippers [​IMG]

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have 3 geese they nip the chickens bottoms and they go after the dog but have never caused real issues.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok whew! he's just being a goose!

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Funny! I just got a female brown Chinese goose last week, and w/in two days of being here, has convinced my ducklings that she is their mother! She warns the chickens and goats and ME not to get too close to those babies----they aren't really babies to me, as they were hatched July 7th. She's a great goose, and I am so glad I got her to be a buddy to my male Toulouse, even thought I had wanted another Toulouse.[​IMG]

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i think our poser is confused- she is 6 months old, and i thought a gander, but angel the pekin has been mating with her for two days, after her trying her go at the female ducks a couple weeks ago- sooooo...... what do i have??

[​IMG]

7. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Drakes hump everything.

I had a runner drake that would hump a LARGE mature dewlap toulouse gander every time the gander went in the pond.

8. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    my goose does the same thing [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she likes to chew on their feathers but all in all they get along well together

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by