Goose Behaviour Questions....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by tigerluv700, May 14, 2011.

1. tigerluv700

tigerluv700 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    I have many questions about my Chinese goose (white, male). The story first...

I purchased him from a country farmer last summer, and I was told he was about 8 months old. I got him to be a buddy to our adult male brown African, who was being returned to our community pond after I rescued him off the golf course where he had sustained a broken leg three months prior. They both got along great...the African was the PERFECT foster daddy.

Unfortunately, as he grew up, the little white Chinese became aggressive with some of the golfers on the course that surrounds the pond. The community board was all over me about this for months. I tried to find him a new home, but it didn't work out, and he was brought back to the pond to joyful reunion with his Papa! The board struck again, this time HARDER. They called animal control and they ordered me to remove both geese citing me for violation of city code (no livestock).

After scrambling to find them a new home, again, I found a farm with a nice pond out in the country. These people assured me the geese would be safe...no predators since they got a yard dog and gators were not a problem. Well, everything was going well until I got a call a week later I received a phone call that our beloved brown Chinese goose had been the victim of a gator attack! The foot was severely mangled. I immediately removed both of them from the farm. Our injured baby was rushed to the vet (the same doc that treated him for his broken leg last year).

The white Chinese remained with me and is living in our back yard, which is fenced in. This all happened April 2nd of this year. I got him a kiddie pool, he grazes on the grass in the yard, and he also gets scratch food & greens as treats.

My questions:

1). I'm afraid he is lonely. He has imprinted on me heavily, wanting constant companionship whenever I am around. He gets upset for a bit when I leave his site but eventually settles down. Is he lonely? Since he has imprinted on a human, could he get along with another goose?

2). A couple of weeks ago, he started refusing to swim in his pool. When I attempt to put him in the water, he acts as if the water has electrocuted him! The only time he WILL get in to bathe is when another very special human friend of his comes to visit. She steps into the pool, he follows her in, and then he takes a very long bath session! Why is this happening? He used to jump in all the time and dunk away! Anything I can do to encourage him?

3). Is there any other treats he may enjoy, other than just the greens?

He is really a very sweet goose, but after all, he is still a goose and he can be a little "Stinker" at times. He's just a people goose, I really think he thinks he's a human!

In the meantime, our precious Papa (brown African) remains in the hospital doing pretty well after several skin grafts, and a partial toe amputation. He will be in there for several more weeks, if not months. His nurse and I hope to plan a reunion of the two at her pool in a few weeks while Papa gets out on leave for a few hours...and the saga continues....

Thanks so much for any advice you can lend me...

Tluv

2. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    What a terrible situation! The goose is definitely lonely, but obviously you are not in a position to get another goose to keep him company. I'm not sure exactly what type of advice you are wanting, but it sounds to me like you are doing the very best for your given situation! The only thing I can suggest is that you try to find him another home that already has a few geese. See how it goes for a few weeks, and if all is well once your brown goose gets out of the vet then you can reunite them.

I think you are doing great! Goodluck with finding a new home for them... they are very lucky to have you!

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. Gator113

Gator113 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Tluv, I found your post very interesting/moving.

I am too new at all of this stuff to be able to answer any of your questions, but I will say that if I come back as a Goose in my next life, I sure hope to be adopted or owned by someone so considerate and caring as you.

I am impressed..... and I am not easily impressed.

You are doing great.

Cheers.......

4. tigerluv700

tigerluv700 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    To Gracie...

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, it has been a gut-wrenching situation. "Mambo" (the name of the White Chinese) seems very content and happy when a person is in the yard with him, but it's when he is alone that I feel bad. Actually, he's not entirely alone. Our cat has made friends with him as he roams the yard as well! It's been over a month he has been with us, and so far no complaints from neighbors, but it certainly is a load of stress wondering when the first one will happen and open the floodgates. We have really gotten attached to him. "Papa," our sweet injured goose will be in the hospital for months....hopefully, we can hold on until he is released.

To Gator...

Thank you for your kind words....they brought tears to my eyes. When it comes to animals of any kind, my heart swells four times it's normal size. It has been an emotional rollercoaster, but hoping that this story, which began in May 2010, will have a happy ending someday.

To Everyone...

I just joined as a "Golden Feather" member so that I will have the ability to post photos. As soon as I am given that privilege, I will post photos of "Papa" & "Mambo."

The "short" story I shared with you above is just a short "clip" of the entire story and all of it's ups and downs. I am considering writing a book, or at the very least, finding a television show or newspaper that would consider it as a human interest story. Thoughts?

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I know geese can bond so strongly that you feel guilty leaving them alone. His reaction to the water is a mystery to me. The good news is he doesn't need to spend a lot of time in the water to be healthy. I read once that a duck owner enjoyed putting a cheep lawn chair in the kiddie pool with her ducks. You could also try throwing treats into the pool water (and I haven't tried anything other that greens because my water fowl seem so happy with it.) I have heard that ducks enjoy peas or a bit of grapes, so a little might be worth a try.

It is quite a saga... I look forward to hearing how the story of Mambo and Papa turns out.

I have heard of a lone goose pet who refused to eat when the owner was on vacation, but eventually the goose settled in on a farm with other geese.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    scratch'n'peck :

I know geese can bond so strongly that you feel guilty leaving them alone. His reaction to the water is a mystery to me. The good news is he doesn't need to spend a lot of time in the water to be healthy. I read once that a duck owner enjoyed putting a cheep lawn chair in the kiddie pool with her ducks. You could also try throwing treats into the pool water (and I haven't tried anything other that greens because my water fowl seem so happy with it.) I have heard that ducks enjoy peas or a bit of grapes, so a little might be worth a try.

It is quite a saga... I look forward to hearing how the story of Mambo and Papa turns out.

I have heard of a lone goose pet who refused to eat when the owner was on vacation, but eventually the goose settled in on a farm with other geese.

TIGERLUV- Just FYI you don't have to be a golden feather member to post your pics. U just go to the "Uploads" section at the top of the page and upload your pics. to your BYC uploads. Then you can cut n paste them to the message boards, when you want to post the pic. I hope this helps you out. I am not a Golden Feather member and I post pics. all the time.
    Thanks,
    T.
    Although, u do have to have at least 10 post minimum to start posting photos.[​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:TIGERLUV- Just FYI you don't have to be a golden feather member to post your pics. U just go to the "Uploads" section at the top of the page and upload your pics. to your BYC uploads. Then you can cut n paste them to the message boards, when you want to post the pic. I hope this helps you out. I am not a Golden Feather member and I post pics. all the time.
    Thanks,
    T.
    Although, u do have to have at least 10 post minimum to start posting photos.[​IMG]

Actually, there is no set number to the amount of posts, you just have to show that you are a 'real' person and not a spammer.

8. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Well they recently changed the system cause of spammers. they make it now, if you are a new register, u have to have at least 10 postings b4 you can set up your avatar, send pics, set up webpage and profile. That is what I was told when I tried to set my avatar and load a pic for it. A disclaimer came up saying they are running a new system dut to the spammer problems they have recently been experienceing. Then listed the stipulations before some things could be set up.
    Just thought I would re-confirm that, that is true. Im sure there is an admin. you could ask if this is true. but im 100% on it.
    Hope this helps,
    Thanks,
    T.

9. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Lovely story, thank you. Although not so lovely for the brown Chinese, but I think it's wonderful you're taking such good care of him and bring him to the vet.

Quote:I think he's lonely too. But I've had two geese behaving like that. When I was with them, everything was fine. They followed me everywhere. Whenever I left, they tried to follow me and called for me for a while. Then they settled down and occupied themselves. And when I came back, they gave me a VIP reception: screaming at the top of their lungs, running in circles, flapping their wings and jumping up and down.

My point is, your goose is not necessarily suffering. I don't know what would happen if you decide to bring in another goose. From what I've read, you'll have a greater chance of success if you introduce him to a gosling. Their parenting instincts will usually override imprinting.

I have a lone goose now, a female, but she doesn't really seem to care much whether I'm there or not. Unless she wants something, like a treat or to go for a walk.

2). A couple of weeks ago, he started refusing to swim in his pool. When I attempt to put him in the water, he acts as if the water has electrocuted him! The only time he WILL get in to bathe is when another very special human friend of his comes to visit. She steps into the pool, he follows her in, and then he takes a very long bath session! Why is this happening? He used to jump in all the time and dunk away! Anything I can do to encourage him?

I have no idea, but the same thing happened with my goose.

She graduated from her kiddie pool to a large pool last fall and after 5 or 6 weeks she started using the new pool. This spring, she used her new pool for about a month, bathing, swimming, playing or just relaxing in it. Then, suddenly, she wouldn't go in. She still drinks from it and stands on the edge of it trying to bathe in it, but she refuses to go in. I've tried to lure her in with treats, but should she accidentally fall in trying to reach a treat, she acts like you've described and gets out screaming and flapping her wings.

I brought out the old kiddie pool for her, but she won't use that either, unless I put her in it. Then she'll bathe a little, get out and ignore the pool for the rest of the day.

The strangest part is that when we go visit our human friend, who has an identical kiddie pool, she heads straight for the pool and stays in it for hours, really enjoying herself.

3). Is there any other treats he may enjoy, other than just the greens?

My goose loves dried dog food. My vet says it's okay to give her a little every day, but not too much due to the fat and protein content, so I bought some cheap puppy kibble (smaller bites) and keep it in my pockets always. She gets one once in a while for being a good goose, probably about half an ounce a day. I have to keep the cat food away from her; she'll knock me down trying to get to it. Given the choice, I don't think she would eat anything else...​

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Nifty said that they were not telling how many posts it takes to be able to post pictures, otherwise the 'spammers' would just post 10 times then post pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by